Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eSIM travel outside EU

Options
  • 15-08-2023 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Has anyone experience using esim on iPhone ? Easy to use travel in Asia, activate before travel, simple compared to buying a data sim for mifi device on arrival at destination ?

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've used this in North America and Canada and never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GomoWorld and Airalo are my two favourites. Check prices on both as there can be a fair difference. I'm in UAE atm and Gomo has a much better deal, €5 cheaper and it's faster and more data. Buy when you get to your hotel as the installation process requires a stable fast wifi connection. I've had it fail doing it in some airports and it ends up messy and requires a lot of support back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Thanks a million, might be an option to activate at home before I go, will be away for 21 days so will have to purchase 30 day plan ?

Thanks again !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've airalo at least 50 times, probably closer to 70, USA, Middle East and Asia, its been bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just used gomo recently in Thailand, Vietnam etc..

I activated it at home.

The 30 days didn't start until it connected to the asian network.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My first time using Airalo this year going to turkey. It’s been brilliant. I’m with 48 so outside EU costs a fortune.

WiFi everywhere, pubs, restaurants etc but the eSim has. Even brilliant for the. Each and day to day.

We have an apartment here and used to get a wifi dongle and local sim for it but this year no.

I have a referral to get discount and I’d you’d like it just PM me. I bought the basic pack to try it for the first few days then upgraded once I knew it was good.

Hey, have you tried an eSIM? Get US$3 off your first eSIM data pack from Airalo. Use code KEITH0132 when you sign up or apply it at checkout. https://ref.airalo.com/EyYp

Yeah you can do that too. I travel so often that I just do it when I get to the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Many thanks for the replies, I know what to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I use Airalo 25 weeks a year. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eabhaniamh

Which would people recommend for a family of 5 with 3 teens who use their phone a lot? We will be in the US for 16 nights and all will require data roaming but no real need for calls. Airalo or gomoworld ?

• Advertisement

Download both and purchase whichever data bundle is cheapest.

How much data would we all need? Sorry I’m a bit clueless! Gomo world is €20 each for 15gb which is better value than Airalo for same data but options of 3gb and 5gb with Airalo which are obviously cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 wiresandmore

Son was in US for 3 weeks in July - admittedly he uses the phone a lot - he had 2x15gb on Gomoworld during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was over in California for about a month earlier this year and used €40 on Gomo never had an issue.

I found it great value.

I’ve used Airlalo on shorter trips over there and it worked great as well.

Value to data for me goes to Gomo.

Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

I usually get the 3gb package on airola for a two week trip to the states or a 5gb when doing 3 weeks. Have never ran out with that and I'm only using it outside of wifi from hotels / bars / restaurants etc.

Thank you. We would be the same so 5g each might suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭crinkley

Do you get a local number with either of these esims?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Must agree with Agent Coulson, it's hard to look past Gomo for value. We did a double of Miami/Caribbean/Miami and I used both Gomo for US and Airalo for the islands, Gomo streets ahead in terms of value return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

With Mobimatter I pay $40 for 30gb which runs for 12 months and suits me for 4/5 trips a year to the US .. it’s a Hong Kong number if I were to dial out but I only use it for data (WhatsApp, maps, social media etc) and it’s perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 auvngv

I'm looking for a eSIM provider with USA number & Data for a 5 month stint in USA. Will only be used for incoming calls. Would be handy if current GOMO SIM could remain active to (set to not roaming) so WhatsApp number doesn't have to change and eSIM could be used as Data bearer. Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have a look at GoMo World.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

This is only good for data, not cellular calls unfortunately, but i have used it extensively since launch, and love it for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

If you are happy with the data, use Viber out for your calls

I'm guessing there's a specific need for a local number for incoming calls or maybe 2fa codes from a provider that only provides SMS 2fa.

I flip between Gomo World and Airalo depending on country and price however I've only had a need for data which for the USA, Gomo and Airalo only provide data only eSims.

I'd suggest maybe looking at a traditional provider like T-Mobile as I believe majority of their plans are available over eSim including those with a "line".

Advertisement