Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry access

Options
  • 15-08-2023 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I surround a forestry that is currently having difficulty with access.

it is around 6HA of Sitka spruce and is due to be thinned over 3 years and then left to maturity. So about another 20 years in it I think after 3 years of thinning.

the original access was down a road I own and a neighbour has ROW into their house.

the forester has limited access and are looking to discuss access with me.

One option may be purchasing a row off me in a separate area- it will mean they can use the bigger lorries etc. I reckon it would be around 100m long x whatever width is needed.

another option is to go down our driveway- again they would need work there including a turntable. I’m less keen on this option for fear of all the weight damaging the road.

just before I meet them, I was wondering does anyone know what to expect.

what are the pitfalls normally,

should they be looking for access, I will involve my solicitor. What’s the general rate if they were to look for access?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

So you own the ROW? Probably best to sell them a new ROW if that doesn’t affect your farm. Make sure you have a couple of access points across the new one.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I own the land leading into it including the road.

there is a road that services it but it’s through a non farming neighbours yard. They are from uk and will challenge the use of it and May force single trucks etc. (they tried to stop the forest years ago but dad allowed them access.

the road is also very narrow at one spot and I would have to be asked to widen it as I own the adjacent field also.

There is a forest to the north of them and they are trying to buy a ROW through that but the owner died about a year ago so I suppose it’s difficult.

I own the land to the east, west and south of the forestry also.

it sounds like I’m a land tycoon but it’s only a small forestry.

Make sure they pay for all your legal fees. Why should it cost you to give them something? Also make the ROW in the deed a forestry right of way for harvesting and management only. Nothing else. No running a firewood business from the forest, no recreation, no wind turbines. Grant a limiting a right as possible and also insist on road upkeep by way of an index linked contribution and also repair at their expense and to your satisfaction post-harvest. Also the ROW should be drive in and out only-no parking or stacking of wood on the ides and loading it while the truck is parked on your road.

Some great advice there. Thank you.

id still be hoping they get to go through the neighbours forest, it makes most sense as I’d say she would sell if given the chance, but you know yourself when it comes to deals.

If you can persuade her that her forest becomes more valuable with a road, and also get a lump sum from them for a ROW with tight conditions she might be happy.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Met the forestry lad,

very sound, going back to the neighbour to see would she deal with them. I reckon she might be holding out for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Neighbour might be grumpy if you granted the ROW. Is it possible to have a conversation with her?

I said to the forestry until they dealt with her first, and if that doesn’t work out, we can talk.

realistically she’s not a neighbour- lives 20 miles away and I’ve met her twice but I will be chatting with her if their plan doesn’t work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Some bond pre-harvest so if there's any damage, rather than you going chasing.

And remember they will most likely get a grant to upgrade road.

He was saying that alright- €55/m weather that’s to build a totally new road or repair existing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement