Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britbox

Options
  • 15-08-2023 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone in Ireland has managed to get Britbox working?

If you try Britbox UK via VPN it doesn't work as you also need a UK card.

Tried bypassing this by changing my Google Play Store payment address to UK and then using my Irish revolut card. This tricky worked for Spotify Premium in Turkey recently.

Britbox UK accepted my sign up so thought it worked but when I try to play anything I get an error. So must be the Irish card issue. But they still took my monthly payment, sneaky. Cancelled it from next month anyway.

Is it the same issue with Britxbox US?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If your payment went through it'll be the VPN getting detected

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Interesting. Using Nord, tried all their UK locations and same error every time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I find DNS services work well for me. I have ITVX and iPlayer etc. working on my Firestick using Getflix.

Is Britbox now part of ITVX Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Had a look and it seems most Britbox stuff is on ITVX Premium. Will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You can't sign up to Britbox in the UK anymore, you get redirected to ITVX premium.

I think the Britbox website is for the foreign market now and it's not available in Ireland. So if you're trying to pretend you're in the UK to sign up, it has to be through ITVX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Anyone know a way to sign up to britbox through Prime? I have Prime (amazon.co.uk) but it wants a UK card and billing address to sign up. It'd be handy to have it on the Prime app.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Any updates on this?

Britbox is quite litereally the only streaming service I'd have the remotest interest in signing up for (honestly don't know why people watch the rubbish on Netflix)

What reason is it that this service is available everywhere bar here? Not like RTE is showing much reruns of The Sweeney and Minder any more is it so it's not about losing selling fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Virgin have the exclusive rights to ITV programming in the Republic of Ireland till I think 2026 after the bought UTV Ireland off ITV in 2016.

That’s part of the reason why Brit Box, ITVX aren’t available in Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It has died a death as a standalone service in the UK, it’s now incorporated into ITVX.

In turn, we won’t see that here due (as the poster above says) the carriage deal between ITV and VMTV which has another while left to run.

Advertisement