Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re-register Transit van

Options
  • 14-08-2023 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi folks.

I have a english regestered 08 transit van which i cannot use in London now because of the latest emmision laws.

I'm currently working in West Cork with my van and was thinking of re-registering the van so i can drive it here permanently.

Anyone know a rough cost to get this done?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€200 VRT anyway, not sure if VAT and customs apply, I think they might.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

It may work out easier just selling it and buying an Irish reg one.

VRT is €200, DOE €100, Tax €333

Possible VAT and customs due also

You can buy an 08 Transit here for €2k

If you could register it by paying only a small amount of VAT and customs it would be worth it. Talk to a customs broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Would the VRT not be €0 if the vehicle has been owned for longer than 6 months out of the country or is that just for private passenger vehicles?

Its unclear if OP meets the criteria for transfer of residence

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

Thanks for all the comments.

For clarity,I am renovating my parents vacant house with a view to retiring here.

Once the work is done the van will be sold or scrapped.

I have an irish passport if that helps.

Ive owned the van for 12 years and its low milage and been looked after so reluctant to sell and buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you’re doing a transfer of residence at some stage, bring something with massive VRT that you can then not pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just get on with it lad, jaysus. Tell them you are in the process of moving here if you're even stopped and asked which is highly unlikely. There's at least 1000 other English reg vans patrolling the byways of Munster on a given day and their drivers aren't thinking about VRT I can tell you for nothin.

Also as above if you are moving here buy the best car of your life and get the free transfer, you will save a fortune - cars here are turf spec and mad dear generally.

Yeah in that case theres probably no reason to VRT it. If your questioned about it just tell them the truth, that your over here doing renovations on a house and that you normally live in the UK.

The renovations are going to take 2 yrs I reckon so will have to take the van back to uk for m.o.t. or I cant tax or insure it.

Thats 400 euros a year on the ferry and diesel.

Never heard of a customs broker before.

Thanks for all the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Mot stations up north in Ireland .

• Advertisement

Tax and MOT is irrelevant in Ireland

Obviously insurance is important tho

Will I be insured if I have no m.o.t ?

Insurance companies allways look for a reason not to pay out on a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

That'll be for your insurance company to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

Assuming you're insured via the UK, are you covered at all if you're in Ireland for up to 2 years? Insurance policies generally have a limit on cover abroad (30 days or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

yes your insurance policy is for the uk and then holidays etc - this isnt a holiday

My policy covers me for the irish republic for the whole policy period ( 1 year)

I made sure of that.

Well in that case drive her on and MOT it up the North.

I wouldn’t bother with road tax as its not valid here.

Advertisement