Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to draw / sketch as an adult

Options
  • 14-08-2023 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I have always loved the idea of being able to draw / sketch. Back in the day, there was no art options in school. Would love some advice on a guide, progressive way of getting started and building on it. Have been putting it off again and again as I am probably no great artist but having had a big C diagnosis I am saying it can't hurt to try.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Depending on where you're based, I suggest beginner art classes. I did art in school, then nothing for years, but started art classes a few months ago and already I can see a huge difference from when I started. The classes also help with putting structure around it, like okay for the next two hours I have to draw, as I'm in the class! Otherwise I'd keep putting it off for doing housework or whatever.

The first step is the hard part, and even a very simple class will help with getting the basics down and the practice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭thecelt

Never did art in school. Unfortunately there's nowhere nearby thats doing art classes. Had hoped there would be

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you are very disciplined, there are some books that would give you some pointers, esp. in relation to observation. The most famous one that springs to mind is "Drawing on the right side of your brain". The author has a website, too. https://www.drawright.com/

You could contact a local secondary school or community college and speak with the art teacher, see if they have any suggestions. There are also online classes, but I'm not sure where or how goid they'd be. Alternatively, there are some residential weekend/one day workshops around.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frozenbanana

I was never able to draw a straight line. Then, when the pandemic started I put on 'Draw with will' with my kids and all of a sudden I drew a character from 'The loud house' Got hooked and drawing a bit everyday. I'm very bad still but at least you can recognise what I'm trying to draw. Obviously it's difficult to become good, but not that hard to be better than most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

If you are in or near Dublin I couldn’t recommend The Drawing Studio enough. They use a course that was devised in the 19th century which is all about copying the masters. Everybody can do it, it’s technical but you spend hours at it and everybody gets there. So relaxing and the staff and everyone who does there is lovely. I’m sure they do day courses but otherwise it’s one evening a week for 12 weeks then you can progress through different levels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement