Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I deny the council access to my private rented property?

Options
  • 14-08-2023 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there I'm a private rental tenant and not getting any HAP or council help.

I've an inspection soon first I've ever had from the council. I would rather not have it as I'm a very private person. Can I deny access? Three out of the 4 apartments are being inspected surely that's enough for the council. The landlord is showing the other three apartments but I'm not comfortable with a stranger with ties I don't have coming in and poking round.

Please help. Thank you.

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't outright refuse, and no - inspecting 3 of 4 doesn't prevent the possibility that the 4th is in breach (or not in breach if the others are).

You can generally arrange a specific time rather than just having to take a demand for a specific time, though.

Right of the council to inspect is covered by the Housing (Misc Provisions) Act 1992 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭djeire84

Surely you can as they are nothing to do with the property. I don't want them here. I've a disability too and this is really stressing me out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Your landlord might want them to have access, but that said if you are in when they call and you just lock the door and dont let them in, explaining that you dont feel comfortable then they will go away. Doubt they will ever be back either. But answer the door because if you lock yourself in and dont answer they might think you are dead and send the fire brigade to knock down the door to check if you are alive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

What reason was given for the inspection?

Like, if the council think there's an environmental or health risk, then surely you should be falling over yourself to get it done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have a legal right to inspect any private rental. So they do have something to do with it

• Advertisement

I've spoken to my landlord and he said it's your home and if you don't want them to come on you don't have to. Just don't want them in.

They're not coming into my home without my permission. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭DubCount

The inspection is likely just to ensure that the regulations and standards for rental accommodation are being provided. Are there adequate cooking and washing facilities available, is there sufficient ventilation - that type of thing. Its done to make sure landlords are not providing sub-standard accommodation.

OP, this is really being done for your benefit. If you have a disability that makes the review difficult for you, you should contact the council (or ask your landlord to contact them), to explain why you dont want them to come. I'm sure they will be understanding of valid concerns.

Your landlord is not able to prevent them coming in, so their word on this isn't worth anything.

If they want to inspect, they will inspect basically. It is better to arrange a sensible time rather than expending huge energy fighting against the inevitable.

That isn't your choice to make, they have a legal entitlement to do so.

Talk to them about it rather than outright refusing and you might be able to come to an agreement - obstinate refusal is likely to find even more obstinate insistence to make use of their right to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Can I ask why your appartment would inspected by the council if you are renting from a landlord?

Nope it's an out the blue inspection. I am just worried given the lack of houses for the Ukraines they will say my apartment is condemned and put me going. Where there is nowhere to rent. It's all a bit suspect. In my 15+ years of renting this is a nightmare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because the council are responsible for enforcing standards in rented accomodation, i would assume. would be pretty farcical if the property owner was allowed refuse permission for those inspections.

It is my choice to make. If my landlord is happy for me to make my choice then that's it. They cannot force their way into my apartment.

Because they inspect a % of all private rentals every year. They have done so for 30 years and have significantly increased the % since the 2019 regs came in.

Question has been comprehensively answered, the OP is rejecting the answer, and thread is about to go down an insane rabbit hole so closing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement