Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I passively (no electricity) move a phone line to a different room via coax

Options
  • 14-08-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a home office with a networking rack and UPS. Other than APs everything is in that rack except the vDSL modem which is in the living room because that is where the phone line comes into the house. The office is upstairs on the other side of the house. The power goes often enough that I needed a UPS to keep working and sometimes for an hour or more. The office UPS can keep my desk and network on for hours but the internet goes because the modem is in the living room and not on UPS. I took the UPS downstairs one time when the power was out for a few hours and put the modem on it and the internet worked so I wanted to move the modem upstairs onto the UPS if possible

There is a TV aerial socket (RCA) next to the phone line which I am currently using with two MOCA devices to connect to my office and cabinet upstairs. The two rooms are connected directly from a coax point of view, as in not split to other rooms, and the signal is perfect. Rather than buy another UPS to keep the modem going for hours is it possible to move the vDSL modem up to my cabinet and extend the rj11 phone line passively over the RCA cable to upstairs.

Some of the things I was looking at were these...

RJ45 to COAX

RJ45 to RJ11

My thought process was to use the RJ11 adapter with one of the passive cables and then the reverse up in the office. No electricity needed but I dont know if the signal would be lost along the way so wanted to check before wasting money on it.

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement