Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalyptus tree not doing well

Options
  • 13-08-2023 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

I bought this eucalyptus tree at the end of last summer. It wasn't doing great but managed to hang on through the winter and then at the start of this summer seemed to take up again. In the past month or so I've noticed the higher leaves have started to dry and go brown, and there's healthy new growth at the base but even some of that has died. It's sheltered outdoors but gets good morning sun and is watered regularly. How can I get it back to health?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd move it to a sunnier location, cut out the dead wood no matter how low to the compost. I also think, though its hard to tell from the images, that it needs a bigger pot and fresh free draining but moisture retentive compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've seen it recommended that you should cut them right down in their first year (including healthy growth) and let them re-grow.

They grow very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭cobham

I think would do better in open ground as likes lot of water and roots will go deep. But be careful of location as it will go over 30 m high and be evergreen so cause shadow all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭standardg60

Lots of things wrong here OP.

Too shaded, all the growth is reaching for the light. Has been too wet (most likely) or too dry at times. You can't just water constantly thinking that's what a plant requires, you water when it needs it and don't when it doesn't, and when you do water you need to let the plant dry out before you water again.

The two longer stems have died off so you may as well cut them off, move the plant into the open until it recovers and then do so regularly for a sun holiday, water only when it dries out, and lastly a eucalyptus in a pot will require regular feeding and occasional repotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks for the advice everyone really appreciate it. I'll take your advice and cut all back and try again. Can I do that this late in the growing season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭standardg60

Don't cut it all back, just remove the dead growth and leave the new growth at the bottom

Advertisement