Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living fulltime in a Motorhome/Campervan in Ireland - is it realistic?

Options
  • 12-08-2023 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I work in IT and currently work at home as it is from my parents house, but recently I've been wanting more independence from them in my twenties.

Has anyone ever done this? I could use any advice you have on it, and the long term issues or problems that might come up.

I keep reading about how unbearable the damp and cold is in the winter, but the idea of renting in the current climate is killing me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

I would say no. I know of people who have used campervans for more privacy and independence while living with their parents but they are still dependant on their parents facilities. Ask yourself a few questions.

Do you have a place to park it?

Where will you access a shower?

Where will you fill up the water tank?

Where will you access a toilet?

Where will you use the washing machine?

Where will you connect to electricity or do you know or will you learn how to set up a solar panel system for the van ?

Is the van you want to buy insulated?

What heating will you use?

Where will you put your rubbish/ recycling?

I know three lads who have had campers, used a lot. They all used their parents facilities for the above or lived in van while building/renovating their own house. They all had access to running water at their parents, washing machine at their parents in all cases and used public toilets and their parents facilities. All their stuff was in their room at their parents house. None of them used their camper van in urban areas regularly, maybe one night for pub/ festivals. They could take off at weekends and it made a social life cheaper. They got great use out of them but always had the base of their parents house until their own houses were built / renovated. It did give them independence and helped them save money as none of them were renting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Find a mobile home park that is open all year round, cheaper than rent, reasonably cheap on electricity and the modern ones are fairly quick to heat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If I was you I'd blend it, buy or convert a van while living at home, the hit the road full time during the summer and come home for winter with short stints away for leisure. Before you go down that road, check the insurance requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's not possible in Ireland unfortunately. We really have no facilities for this kind of thing and the facilities we do have are over priced. You could be looking at 30quid a night. Also the damp climate and cold are really what would cause you the most problems. It wouldn't be good for your health. Now if you could work from somewhere like Spain remotely from October to February I'd say drive your camper over their and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I paid a tenner to park in a farmers filed last week but I haven't stayed in a camp site in years. I've never had a problem wild camping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Quick to cool down as well you would want a residential spec if you were going to live in it through the winter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

True in the very cold snaps, we lived in one between houses and it was during that stretch of -5degree weather. The mornings were brisk. This said, a bottle of gas lasted ages and ours was probably well over 15 years old. The newer ones are way better.

Advertisement