Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song writing credits, collaboration, plagiarism

Options
  • 12-08-2023 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭

Was listening to a quite good interview on RTE Radio1 with Christy Moore during the week.

He talked about "collecting" songs. It got me thinking. I'd estimate 60-70% of Christy's output is cover versions of previously released material by other artists and songs given/collected by him from various other songwriters.

At no point does any reporter ever broach the topic of payment, writing credits and downright plagiarism.

Suppose for a minute, I write a song and send it off to Christy Moore's Management etc. (I'm using Christy as a example, it could be any famous artist). He takes a look and rejects it. But maybe keeps a few lines or uses the general idea later for a song of his own. Does he credit me? Not being particularly au fae with the business I imagine it comes down to a subjective judgement eg. Did he steal the general idea, did he steal one line, did he steal a few lines etc.

Or is this where I get my solicitor involved?

Advertisement