Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch OpenEIR off contract - notice required?

Options
  • 11-08-2023 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

If you're switching from one OpenEIR provider to another and are already out of contract, are you obliged to give notice to your current ISP? Are there any Comreg rules on this type of scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

No notice is required when switching from one OpenEir provider to another OpenEir provider. Your new provider cancels your contract on your behalf usually within couple of days using the Universal Account Number. This does not apply when switching to a different line e.g. SIRO or Virgin Media for them it's the usual 30 days notice.

One thing to keep in mind is that most bills are paid a month in advance. So let's say today you switch to another provider. You are losing out on 2 weeks of service that you paid for. I think most big providers automatically generate refund. But I wouldn't be surprised if some others would say you didn't give them notice with your intention to switch so they won't refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

Thanks - that what I thought. Unfortunately, it seems like the new supplier (Sky) setup a new UAN, rather than using the existing one, so the original ISP (Vodafone) didn't get a notification to cancel service. I had assumed it would be seamless - lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

If you are still within cooling off period with Sky you could try negotiate with them to take accountability for this. Normally they must ask you if you are switching or not. Explain your understanding was that they will take over the line. But now you are being double charged.

Tell them Vodafone is welcoming you back with a cheap offer. Tell them you are happy to stay if they credit you the amount Vodafone is charging as final bill. As long as you are within cooling off period you hold the power.

If you are passed cooling off period, no harm in asking if they would be willing cover any credit for this as you are unhappy customer regretting switching as you are being double charged. They might offer you something for the sake of keeping you happy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The usual practise is that once you have completed your initial contract (usually 12 months) you are in a rolling 30 day contract and isps require 30 days notice if you intend to end your contract.

I would strongly recommend to anyone considering cancelling a contract that you establish what notice you are contractually obliged to give and that you give such notice directly to your isp yourself.

Never rely on another isp to do this on your behalf no matter what assurances they give you.

Advertisement