Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grad Med - UCC or UL?

Options
  • 11-08-2023 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys! I was wondering if anybody who is doing grad med in Cork or Limerick could please share their experiences? I am currently heading into my final year of a science degree in Dublin and honestly, I simply cannot afford Dublin for another year!! I would really really appriate anyone who could help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Orange_Anatomy

Hey there! 🤗

I'm not doing GEM in either of these (I'm up north in UU), but was in a similar position when looking at schools.

Both are great schools and medical teaching is pretty standardised here in all fairness so I don't think you can go wrong.

The main difference between both courses is the method of learning: UL is PBL (small groups and case studies with a few lectures a week) and UCC is traditional didactic (mainly lectures).

The other big consideration is transport. UL is outside of the city and the hospital is a bit away too, so you would need to take the bus or have a car to get around. The city is quite small, so not many distractions, but you could get bored.

UCC is more or less in the city centre and the hospitals are all quite close in general. The city is also a lot bigger. More entertainment, but more distractions also.

Last I read, the tuition fees in UCC are slightly cheaper than UL, but that could change anytime, so I'd not be focusing your decision on that aspect solely.

Finally, depending on where you're from, you might want to look at how easy it is to get from Cork or Limerick to home. Who's closer? How often would you be planning on going home? Do you have any connections in Cork or Limerick in case of emergencies?

I made a pros and cons list, sat down with my parents and discussed it which I found quite helpful, but it depends on how you work things out. We also visited both cities and campuses, chatted to some students and just tried to get a sense of what it would be like to live there over a few days.

You can change your CAO order as you wish before the closing date, so don't be panicking about making a firm decision now. You've still got plenty of time and ultimately both schools are excellent from what I've heard and seen working with doctors from both 😊

Advertisement