Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR MBPS

Options
  • 11-08-2023 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all

A bit of advise needed.

I got broadband installed yesterday by Eir. The tech guy said the most I will get is 6 mbps! He said the “exchange” or wherever my internet comes from is 1.5 km away as opposed to down the road. He said it wont be enough to run the house ( family of 5)

I live in Dublin 12 so I’m not exactly rural. I now live about 300 metres from the last house where I was getting speeds of 70 – 80 mbps. The Tech installer said any broadband supplier will have the same issue running off the line. There is no Fibre at the moment in my area and not sure when it will be installed. The tech guy said ask for ADSL?

I ran some speed checks and it is as low as .95 mbps.

I rang Eir tech and they said it will improve over the coming days ? Not sure if he is fobbing me or not. I ran some devices last night, you tube, Netflix, to put a load on the broadband and no  real lag etc. as such.

My questions are,

• Should I cancel and go with 3 mobile broadband since tech guy said all suppliers will have same issue?

• Are 3 mobile broadband good to go with?

• Take a chance and stay with Eir before 14day cooling period and stick with the max ( on a good day) of 6 MPBS for the next 12 months?

• Or does anyone have any ideas/ suggestions for my braodband.

Bensimp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Max 6mbps and actual 0.95 sounds like you are already ADSL or very far on VDSL.

In Dublin 12 would you not have Virgin available? They are fibre to cabinet and then coax cable to house usually giving up to 1gbps.

Have you tried checking SIRO for fibre as well as OpenEir?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bensimp

Thank you Dam099

I will check Virgin but are dear compared to the rest. ( I know I probably have no choice )

I checked SIRO, not available. OpenEir don't have a date for completion of fibre yet

I will pop into a Three store and see what they say about speeds etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do yourself a favour, if Virgin are available, just go with them, even if it means paying more. Mobile broadband sucks by comparison.

Virign have a new customer deal 500mb for €44 per month for first 12 months, which is pretty decent value. By the time that deal ends, maybe OpenEIR FTTH will be available to you and you can switch then.

Advertisement