Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consolidation

Options
  • 10-08-2023 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi guys,

Couple of questions regarding consolidation. 2 companies, UK entity and new Irish entity.

UK loans £44,000/€50,000 in April. So in Ireland Dr. Bank 50k, Cr. Interco 50k & in the UK CR Bank 44k/Dr Interco 44k. Consolidation works fine the first month.

Next month Fx changes and I notice €50k = £45k

My Questions:

1. Where is the FX journaled to, is it the Parent or the Subsidiary accounts?
    2. If Subsidiary - are the journals the following: Cr. Interco £1,000/€1,250 Dr FX Gains/losses (P&L) - £1,000/€1,250

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

1. It depends on the loan agreement and who will get the hit/benefit of the exchange difference. If the agreement is to pay back €50k, this would cost the Irish company £45k and they have the £1k/€1.25k loss so it is reflected in their accounts. The UK company loaned £50k, it got back £50k so no gain no loss for them. However, if the agreement is to pay back €50k then you have the opposite where the UK company gets the hit/benefit
    2. Journal is correct and will be the same no matter which company it is

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bosco26

Thanks @SureYWouldntYa - so basically whoever is taking the hit on the loan, takes the hit on the FX.

Another question I hope you can help with re consolidation.

Irish company is subsidiary toparent UK company starts in Jan.

Month 1 - 10k Euro - FX rate 1:1

Month 2 - 10k Euro - FX rate 1:0.9

Month 3 - 10k Euro - FX Rate 1:0.75

So profits in Sterling and Euro are 10k in M1 in the P&L and BS.

M2 - Sterling 9k profit but retained earnings will show a profit of 18,000 for 2 months based on the BS date

M3 - Sterling profit 7.5k but retained earnings will show a profit of 2,250 based on the BS date.

In the Subsidiary Irish company profits look like 30k euro at the end of 3 months in P&L/BS

Will in the UK, we had GBP profits of 10k, 9k, 7.5k.

When I am consolidating how do I make up the anomoly of the BS differences between the parent and Subsidiary in the quarterly accounts?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement