Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competing Central Leaders on Tree

Options
  • 10-08-2023 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hello, I have an apple tree out the back garden, I got it from The Range for about 7 euro a couple of years ago. This is the first year it's producing fruit, I'm not green fingered really, but I'm trying to get into it since I've moved out of the city and into the burbs.

I've read that if there are competing central leaders then one of them has to go. The only problem is I can't decide which one is going. The one on the left is probably the healthier looking one, but will it give me problems in future with all the extra growth at the top? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No question in my mind that the right hand one needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Thanks, but will the left not give me trouble with the extra branches at the top? Probably not, seeing as they're small, and I can remove any verticle branches in Winter. Cheers.

Post edited by danfrancisco83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

This is a good question!

What height do you want the tree to reach OP? If the answer is not much more then the answer is neither. Apple trees don't have leaders, what you're trying to achieve is a goblet shape with an open centre so having split leaders is good.

Personally what I would do is remove the straightest branch on the left leader to allow it to branch, and leave the right one to gain a bit more strength for the rest of the season and then reduce it by a third in winter. It will then branch out in the spring.

I wouldn't mind it growing high enough to block one of the neighbours at the back from gawping in :)

I think there are two types of tree, goblet shape and central leader, I think this is central leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ok well then follow Jim's advice and remove the right one and straighten the main stem with a cane as the existing one has done.

It's not the tree that decides between goblet and leader, you do🙂

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, maybe on the next one I'll try a goblet.

Advertisement