Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverter issue

Options
  • 10-08-2023 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Just took delivery of a 2500W pure sine wave inverter to run off a leisure battery.

To test it, connected it to a fully charged 20Ah jump start battery power pack.

Input voltage 13.5V: output 50 Hz 235V

Connecting a 1600 watt coffee machine results in the red light and no output

Connected a 600/1200w/1800w infra red lamp to it and it works at 600W but red light at 1200W

Am puzzled.

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Your battery is possibly the issue, With a 1.6KW load that inverter is probably pulling the guts of 160A out of your battery, so it may not be able to supply that.

20Ah is the battery capacity, but that doesn’t tell us the max current it can output.

In any case 20Ah would be a small battery for that size of inverter. The fact that it is designed as ‘Jump Start’ device further complicates the issue. A jump start by its nature requires a sharp burst of power, not a continuous load so it’s likely unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Definitely the battery setup. A 20ah battery will only be fit to supply a starting current for a very short duration. Trying to draw 130 to 140 amps from it for anything more than a few seconds will likely pull the voltage below the inverter voltage cut off point.

I have 100ah lithium battery supplying an inverter and it would be under pressure to sustain that loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Stick a DVM/DMM in voltage mode on the 12v input @Calahonda52

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks to you all. Its allegedly a 400 Amp jumpstart but I see the point.

Withe the DVM/DMM, test, am i looking for the voyage once the load comes on, its 13.5V with no load

To paraphrase Robert Shaw in Jaws, I need a bigger battery!

Thanks again

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is the inverter designed for a 12v SLAB cell or a Li-ion battery? Depending on the cell layout of the booster pack, probably 4x 3.6v cells in 3 or 4 series, it will be 13.5v to 14.5v with no load, and I'd guess that it's dropping to 10.6v (??) or less when the 1.6kW is being put on it. Or else the booster is dropping the output as it's in an overload condition?

That would probably cause the inverter to kick it out. Check the specs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

The thing about jump-starting is that the very high jump start current almost instantly reduces once the starter motor starts actually rotating.

Post edited by Bruthal. on

Advertisement