Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 09-08-2023 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I don't want to give away too many details but just wondering are school's single entities not answerable to anyone?

In my case, after prolonged mistreatment from my principal, I followed procedures, however the principal retired. Before departure, a decision was made seriously affecting my future in the school. At first I just wanted to leave but I have reflected on it and if I did, they would win as the 'problem' would be eradicated but more importantly I've been in the school for some time and have a great relationship with students and parents alike and that's the thing - I'm thinking of them as opposed to me but I do enjoy working in the school.

I have been in constant contact with the union and I would be as well as throwing my money in the bin but I have some protection with them.

It has not been an enjoyable experience but the poor decision is taking it's toll and I don't know if I could see this out until retirement.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hard to give any advice given how vague your post is by necessity. However, this is a time of teacher shortages so you probably have more freedom than you think to leave that job. In principle, I would not stay in a job which is toxic for my mental health. Plenty of people enjoy their job, as you say you do, but move because of poor management, bullying, etc.

You always have alternatives, be it moving schools or making a career change into teaching-associated, or other, jobs. If you have any sort of property or equity, you could also explore how to maximise its use for your benefit now.

Lastly, "I'm thinking of them as opposed to me" is an unwise way to think about one's job. Each of us is replaceable. Make decisions in your own interest. The students will move on, as you well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭derb12

Agree 100% with previous poster. Especially don’t stay in a job for the sake of the students/parents. There are lovely students/parents in other schools too.

I moved schools to get away from a toxic environment a few years ago - best thing I ever did.

just be aware that no school is perfect and make sure that you aren’t attributing too much importance to old baggage (if the principal is gone is it possible that things will improve?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

"Before departure, a decision was made seriously affecting my future in the school."

If you have a good relationship with pupils and parents then you have a good solid future in the school.

If it was a demotion or failure to obtain a post then really look hard at the overall benefits of that post. A couple of thousand can be made up with grinds or exam invigilation/marking.... with wayyyyy less hassle and politics. Teaching us one of the few professions where the only progression is a 2 step to management and that's it. Don't waste your time on the 'status' this post endows.

If it was a timetable 're-shuffle' then that can be soul destroying also, you might see yourself as a subject teacher in one area and that becomes your personality. But suddenly thrown into another area calls this ego into question.

I got a few knockbacks like above and it took me a good while to get over it. Got further knockback just before this summer again but at that stage I threw my eyes up and laughed it off. I've only about 15 years to retirement so gotta put that in perspective. Just focus on your family outside school, it's only a job where you share the same carpet with random strangers. If you left today would be replaced and forgotten about in about 2 weeks.

If you were slandered in some way, accused of something or had your character questioned then maybe try legal advice (employment related solicitor) outside the Union if it's going no-where.

Good luck with it anyway, it sounds like the students are lucky to have you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

Your post is vague. Agree with @Treppen Most of the job is getting on with students. Concentrate on the teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Frazzled22

Thanks for the replies. I'll respond individually to your posts.

• Advertisement

It's hard not to be vague as the sector is smaller than you think. But I did post previously, my subject was removed from the curriculum without due process. My subject hours are getting smaller and smaller. My concern is there would be a Leaving Cert class without a teacher and they are genuinely good kids and don't deserve that but the BOM have not considered them in the decision.

As with the nature of teaching nowadays, I have moved schools due to covering different absences so it's been a while since I've moved school and there is a little fear and excitement but I wouldn't be leaving without my CID which means compulsory redeployment where I could end up in a worse position than the one I'm in.

Yes and after being in different schools, I have met some fantastic students and supportive parents.

Yes, I know no school is perfect but I have never experienced the behaviour/management like this one and it all seems to be unaccountable.

Thank you for your kind words especially the last line.

I wish it was failure to obtain a post - that I could get over rather quickly. Wouldn't want one as I watch the post holders being lackeys for management not questioning just doing. I would like to think I'm better than that and exam marking pay ends up between an AP1 and 2 and it's all done within three weeks - no problems. The decision was to remove my subject which I have taught all of my teaching career with very good results and both exams. I have investigated other options and will be working on that soon. I have taken many more hits in life and picked myself up and carried and I know I'll recover from this also.

It's shocking what schools can get away with as you know yourself. The legal route is outside the time frame so reason for thread - where else to turn.

Yes having relationships with students is so important and I have a lot of respect from present and past students. This takes time to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

If under 15 years to retirement stay ,if not CONSIDER going .But I’d urge caution as opposed to the ‘Carpe Diem’ people .Demographics suggested a fairly abrupt fall off in secondary school student numbers ( at least until a year or two ago , let’s not tread into the minefield of current government immigration policy ) .All bar those very comfortably off and with a generous support network need to realise that the path to homelessness in modern Ireland is very easily travelled .Many still think those sitting on the streets made bad life choices .There was a recent case of an AP2 post holder thirty something teacher in Wicklow who was weeks away from being homeless ( due to landlord ‘renovating’ or selling up ) If the shenanigans perpetrated on permanent staff is shocking it’s nothing compared to the disposable non CID people who are only a principal’s niece away from being let go

• Advertisement

Sorry for long delay. I have 15+ years to go and life at school is incredibly tough. I have isolated myself as I dont want to meet management and the decisions made by the BOM are now having an effect and my uncaring colleagues at the time are now worrying about their own positions as numbers are well down and we are relying on the Ukranian community for numbers which is temporary. I also feel like an outsider - a casual sub teaching bits and pieces - Jack of all trades. I have applied for a fixed term position in another school for the sake of my mental health and job satisfaction.

Advertisement