Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to power laptop through Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Do you have this 12in1 documentation? Particular interest in power output - official site "conveniently" do not provide such info.

BTW, nowhere i can see "The photos at this link clearly show it powering a laptop" , only that is connected to laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

One of the product photos says "Power your laptop with USB-C PD port".

PD stands for Power Delivery, and it is listed as one of the 12 functions.

Unfortunately, the amazon page for this product has some negative reviews, including about Acer laptops compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

My bad didn't "scroll".

Still, image point to USB-C plug on the AC adapter side (not hub-to-USB) as also clearly indicated on next image - i guess 1 of 12 functions is: use AC adapter provided directly to laptop 😉

Documentation, if supplied, should have this/some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

Where is the power input on the hub or how is it supposed to power a laptop - where is it drawing the power it's meant to be supplying to the laptop from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I think i threw out the manual if it came. I did find this which shows that it supports 100W PD

I might ring the tech support that the email guy was trying to fob me off too. Maybe they can explain, to me it should work and the guy over email was just being lazy. It's still under guarantee.

• Advertisement

It has a USB-C port that I've plugged the 100W power source into. Could be worth trying a different cable here, I did specifically purchase one that could supply 100W. I also have it plugged into a extension, maybe I'll try direct into the wall. I can't see how it would make a difference but at least it would rule them out.

I'll bring my personal laptop into work tomorrow and try it on a docking station here too actually.

I brought the laptop to work today and it charges fine via the with usb-c docking station. So looks like it's the hub that is the issue, not sure if it's faulty or a design limitation. I'll try phoning again.

EDIT: So after phoning again they said that the hub isn't deisgned to power the laptop. I said I was then missold an item as it shows PD passthrough on the website. They said i should ring up and call before i purchase anything :-D I think asked them if they had a hub that would power my laptop, I was told to check the website...so i reminded them that you just said to call up before i purchase.....terrible customer service.

What's strange is that the hub will power my wife's work laptop, and my work laptop. The PD charger will charge my personal laptop when connected directly. And the my personal laptop will charge from the Think pad station in work.

Post edited by mp3ireland2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The hub works with your work laptop, and almost works with your wife's laptop, but doesn't work at all with your laptop.

It's clearly an issue with the hub, but rather a compatibility between the hub and your laptops. This happens a lot with these palm sized hubs, they work in certain scenarios but not others.

My guess is that your only shot of finding one that works with your laptop is by trial-and-error: keep returning the ones that don't work, until you find one that does.

BTW, could you share the make/model of your work laptop and docking station? I'm willing to bet that the docking station is not palm-sized, but one of those that costs in the 200-300 euro range, like this or this. Those tend to work with a lot of laptops.

yeah it's a Lenovo ThinkPad DK1633 docking station, a decent sized one.

Yeah it's disappointing as i purchased the docking station and laptop on the same order from ACER (both ACER brand) expecting to avoid any compatibility issues or hassle, instead i get support that contradict the information on the website. Maybe i do just need to order a non palm size docking station

Bought a refurb Lenova thinkpad docking station, same as one I had in work. £75 on amazon. Works no hassle. In the process of getting a refund for the ASUS one. Case closed...I hope!

• Advertisement
Advertisement