Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Spray Foam Insulation

Options
  • 09-08-2023 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Hi, what are people's opinions on this type of insulation.

I was thinking of having it installed on our house (40+ year old bungalow).

The company that quoted use Kingspan Synthesia (which they claim is best on Market) which they say is very breathable and prevents damp which was my main concern.

It's not particularly cheap at about €4500 (€21 per M² +vat).

Thoughts? Has anyone had it installed, if so whats your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grennscreener

I was told by a couple of people (including a mortgage broker) that mortgages have been refused on a property when they see a report that lists spray foam insulation on a roof.

The thinking behind it is that you can't possibly know if it was done to insulate or cover a serious defect with the roof and therefore its a risk to great for the bank to give a mortgage out on.

Aside from the bank/insurance related issues technically it seems to be a great way to keep heat in and keep the attic space largely available.

(this is just one internet randomer's 2cents by the way - I have no knowledge in the area, just that the topic has come up when we were house hunting last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Some people who do this are very pleased, this is it avoid thermal looping and wind washing. There is no gaps between the insulation and insulated surface. But there are issues with breathability. I know they use this tech a lot in the US, but Id prefer a method that can be more readily removed if necessary. That been said, these alternatives eg. rigid board do tend to have thermal looping.

Advertisement