Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this tree grow too large for my back garden?

Options
  • 09-08-2023 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Straight off the bat, I have zero green fingers / gardening knowledge! Approx. a year and a half ago the missus hired a gardener to get the back garden redone with some plants etc planted behind raised wooden sleepers. There is one tree in the corner that has grown quite a lot, and is now sticking out at a strange angle. See attached photos.

My questions are:

1. What type of tree is it?
    2. Is it likely to grow much bigger, and if so is it actually suitable for a relatively small back garden where it is growing behind the wooden sleepers?
    3. If the answer to question 2 is no, then can people please advise on the best way to get it growing at a proper straight angle again?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,179 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it might be a dogwood - possibly cornus controversa or alternifolia as it appears to have alternate leaves. I cannot quite see whether it has toothed leaves (little jags on the edges) or if it is smooth. If it is not smooth then it isn't dogwood. It also appears to have that little irregular tip on some of the leaves which can also be found on dogwood. If it is dogwood and is allowed to keep growing it could get quite large, but dogwood stems can be cut back to base - every year if you wish and they will grow new stems and showy large leaves each season.

However I am only really familiar with the more common dogwoods so wait for some more ideas on what it might be, or if you have a friendly and knowledgeable garden centre person locally you could take in a bit of branch and ask for identification. Or of course contact the guy that planted it, it would be ideal if they would leave a list of what they have planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

If i didn't know any better i'd say it's a seedling or sucker from the tree outside, get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

Why don't you ask the gardener what tree/shrub it is and ask him for pruning advice. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Don't know what type of tree it is but in that location it's bound to cause some bother. Personally I'd probably get rid of it and replace it with a shrub or anything else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I too would just take it out. The shape and inclination don't suit. I looks like a sucker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks.

Thanks a mill for all the helpful advice. It turns out that most of you are correct. We contacted the gardener who said he didn't plant it, and so must have self seeded from another tree outside our garden. He has advised to remove it by cutting the main stem as low as possible and applying "SBK" (available in Woodies apparently) to the top of the remaining stump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

You don't have to go to that trouble, just dig it out or sever the stem below the ground.

You also have what looks like two willowherbs in the bottom right of your first pic, the upright wispy ones against the wall, pull them out too, and any like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,179 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah yes, I knew it looked familiar, my brain went down the dogwood route, but I have a very similar plant grows about 10m from a mature ornamental cherry tree, it sends up a sucker that looks very like that, leaves bigger than the main tree. I have cut it back several times but it grows again. I am reluctant to put anything on the root as I don't want to kill the main tree.

Advertisement