Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships (2nd Attempt). Saturday 9th September 2023

Options
  • 08-08-2023 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

After a 3 year taper, we're back! It's been a long time to build up a thirst, and this is the first year where the event logo was designed by AI (DALL-E)!

Location: To Be Confirmed (due to ongoing upgrade works in the Beer Mile Stadium). Most likely Bunting Park in Crumlin (200m track).

Date: 5:00 pm, Saturday 9th September 2023

Rules:

Rules (below) will be the same as always. For more information on beer mile rules and information in general see beermile.com

8 laps (assuming 200m track)

1 12 oz beer per every second lap.

Must be at least 5 % ABV.

Puking means 2 penalty laps.

You must be over 18.

You must acknowledge that drinking 4 beers and running a mile is an irresponsible thing to do, but it's just a bit of juvenile fun.

Fancy dress is permitted.

Competitors must remain clothed during the event

Competitors are asked not to fill up on beans and eggs before the event.

12 oz beers are hard to find in Ireland, so make sure to buy some in advance. This is a nonsense American measure, but it’s part of the official rules so make sure to find some.

Medals:

Same as last year, I have beer bottle opener medals for both the men’s and women’s categories.

If you're interested in coming either PM me or add yourself to the facebook event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/823169642380973

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DrDrankEngine

Details of the upgrade works to our beloved National Beer Mile Stadium

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/news/general-news/major-sports-upgrade-kilbogget-park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

I won't make it this year either unfortunately, it's on the evening before the Charleville Half. It would probably end up in a disastrous performance in at least one of them (if not both) if I did both. And I really don't want to have to do a penalty lap of charleville.

Hopefully next year though, if it avoids Charleville. The new stadium might be finished by then too!

Hahaha! Good luck in Chareville! Maybe next year we could consider doing a Cork beer mile - or even if the two of us want to do one with a few from each of our clubs too that could be good fun! Nice bit of competition - Finbarr's and Cork Tri going head-to-head

Settled on Bunting Park at 5pm. So it will be 2 laps per beer as it's a 200m track.

Make sure to have your beers bought in advance because the American sizes aren't sold everywhere. Usually supermarkets are good for these. This year I think I'm going for Sierra Nevada 😋

The year of the Beer Goblins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Is a 200m track eligible under the offical rules? They seem to specify a 400m track. Could be controversial if any national or world records are achieved. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

There will be controvery for sure - someone is guaranteed to run either 7 or 9 laps. It get difficult to count after 3 beers and 6, or was that 7, laps :)

Hahaha! Well I guess if any of us end up setting a world record we could get in touch with Santry to repeat it there 😅

And I guess we just need to define each "beer mile lap" as "2 Bunting laps" and then we're good. We're at a slight disadvantage compared to normal as a result of having so many extra corners to turn 😜 It's a shame our standard track is a building site still.

https://thebeermile.org/pages/beer-mile-rules

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Thanks @DrDrankEngine for organising this year's event and the afters in town. Great fun in the sun with a load of sound people. Not sure I'd go with Sierra Nevada Summerfest again. Almost 100% gas. One long 15 minute burp festival!

Such a great event!

The results are now up:

The Beer Mile website seems to have gotten a major overhaul meaning that you can now create an account and link all of your previous runs together.

Let me know if any of you from this year or the previous years back as far as 2017 have an account you'd like me to link up to the results pages.

Also big thanks to:

• James and Battered Sausage for the timekeeping and adjudicating.
    • Rainbow Slash for the drone recording
    • Chancer for the phone video footage
    • Aisling for photos
    • The fan club for cheering us on
    • And all the competitors for being legends! Especially those who travelled from Belfast, Kerry and Scotland just to join!

Ivy Turd I'll be keeping an eye on you for next year! Solid debut beer mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I hadn't realised they're making a movie about the beer mile!

I feel it still won't be anywhere near as epic as the 2015 Irish Championships

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

From the depths of purgatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That year was definitely the best actual race in my limited beer mile experiencer. It's surprising, given our 'natural' affection for running + beer, that this isn't a higher profile event on the national calendar. Better marketing definitely needed. (And no offence to the people who have kept the event alive, heroically and against the odds - kudos to them too.)

Post edited by Murph_D on

Just in case any of you are interested, the Beer Mile movie seems to be sourcing its funding through kickstarter and not doing fantastically :-P

The kickstarter campaign ends in just 5 days. I had checked in a few days ago and they were only halfway there, so if any of you feel like throwing in a tenner or anything like that here's the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beermile/beer-mile-film

I was under the impression they had already put in all of the work so it's funny that they don't seem to have gotten funding yet, oops!

Advertisement