Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100+ year old house - Who to have look at it?

Options
  • 08-08-2023 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I'm going to look at an old house at the weekend, doesn't look like it's really had any modernisation done in its lifetime(built early 1900s). I'm wondering who the best person is to look at it, in terms of estimating what it would cost to renovate it? An architect would have been my first thought, but it doesn't really need any extending, more so just modernising in place; is a builder more suited, or even some other profession I'm not aware of?

I know that at that age, whoever does it needs to be in the know about really old houses, so want to make sure I know the right person to properly estimate everything. Any thoughts/advice would be great, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess ask around for a surveyor/builder that has experience of old or historic buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

You could speak to an architect, surveyor or builder and they will probably all give you different insights.

I think an architect can be useful as they will be able to advise on alterations even if you do not require extensions.

Whoever you speak to its better if they have a degree of experience with older buildings and more importantly a degree of enthusiasm for them.

You may have to do a bit of work - paperwork and possibly building investigation / inspection before you can get any meaningful estimates.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Dont get ripped off by people trying to oversell damp solutions. A lot of damp issues have very simple cheap cures, eg. cleaning the gutter, fixing broken slate, small french drain. Rising damp is nearly never the problem.

Advertisement