Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New eir ftth

Options
  • 08-08-2023 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all, I've been on fibre with eir for a while and was told recently full fibre has become available in my area, I've gone for the 1gigabit since it ended up being cheaper than my previous package, my old internets max speed was 75-80 but that was consistent. Today it was installed and I'm not sure what's the story with it.

It's using the old box I've had for ages but the signal is awful, can only use wifi really as the box is at the bottom of the stairs near the front door but the house isnt that big, now granted the signal wasn't anything to praise before as you got to the kitchen at the end of the small hallway you lost a bar or two.

The speeds are great from the new internet, it's like 500-600+ if you're standing near the box that is, although trying to improve the signal and speeds there's times when I'm doing a speed test and it's 50-80 and I'm a step away from the box, I go up 15 stairs to where the bedrooms are and the speeds still 400 as i have a line of sight on the box, turn left or right into one of the bedrooms, only a couple of steps and it drops massively. Down to 50-80ish which on the lower side is worse than before. The walls aren't that thick either. I don't know if that's normal or a crazy drop because like I said above, max speeds before were 75-80 even by the box and that stayed the same even when in the rooms upstairs.

I don't know if there's a settle in period for the internet or it should be out the gate flying. But the low inconsistent speeds even when close to the box is weird. Just wondering if you anyone has any advice before I contact eir.

Is it the router box and I need a new non faulty one, is it more beneficial to get a non eir router, or keep what I have and get that WiFi hub thing they have. I know hardwired is the way to go, but I don't think that's an option really.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

if you want to get 1 gig around the place, you'll need to run cable.

My advice would be to ditch the eir router and get some unifi gear, but you'll need to open your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Testing your link speed over wi-fi will always give you inconsistent results and rarely will you get full speed of your connection, particularly if you are just using the provided router. Wired connections will give you more consistent speeds.

If you search on here, you'll find people talking about Mesh systems, which would improve your wi-fi speed all through the house.

Or you can go for the premium option, as suggested above, of UniFi equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RyanB61

Yeah don't get me wrong I know wired is the way to go and wireless is gonna be hit and miss at times.

But I don't think it should be this bad signal wise surely.

It's the same router I've had since the previous package, it's in the same place, but speeds in most rooms are way worse now.

Max we used to get on the line was 75-80 on old package, in most rooms we got 65-70. This new one my brothers room is around 50 if lucky, my room is 30ish on my phone, where my pc is setup is getting 6-20. Compared to the 65-70 consistently before I don't know what's wrong.

Max speeds I've taken from the new internet is 600+, but there's times when I could be cm's away from the box and the speed test could be 100 or less.

Is it the box all of a sudden, something in the installation

Post edited by RyanB61 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

put your router up higher if you can . check and change your wifi channels . connect to the 5 ghz wifi channel and not the 2.4 the speeds are faster

also turn both boxs off for 10 minutes turn the the booster on 1st then the moden a minute or 2 later

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Is it the box all of a sudden, something in the installation"

It is just the nature of wifi.

It is possible your neighbours have started using wifi on the same frequency/channels, which would in turn cause interference on your wifi.

Also possible for noise to come from other devices and interfere, for instance baby monitors, DECT phones, wifi, bluetooth all operate on the same 2.4GHz frequency of that type of wifi.

As Nowso mentions, try and make sure you are using 5GHz wifi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement