Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Boite Concept LX Turntable - am I mad to even consider this?

Options
  • 08-08-2023 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade to a decent turntable and fortunately have a few quid that I can spend so budget it fairly chunky. I currently have a cheap and nasty one that I got a couple of years back when I started collecting vinyl with my young daughter. She has developed a real love for music and vinyl in particular so want to upgrade the unit. 

The missus spotted one of these in Brown Thomas and she loves the look of it. LX Turntable | La Boite concept

Is it insane to even consider it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What's the rest of your current system?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

At the moment I don't really have any system. Just a cheap and nasty turntable with a couple of speakers sitting on a shelf in the living room. I want a decent turntable and the missus wants a nice bit of furniture and this seems to tick both boxes.

I honestly cannot say how that system would sound, but if you are looking at spending that sort of cash I would 100% prefer to compile a renowned system for much less money.

Maybe separates are not your style or preferred way to go. I don't know.

Alternatively I would look at this system or even pop into the Hifi Hut for a listen.

https://www.hifihut.ie/products/rega-system-one

There is the element of the missus wanting a bit of furniture thrown in to the mix too !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

What does it sound like?

I would NOT know enough to offer advice but the speakers look very close together - I would have thought too close to create a good stage. But like they say... never judge a book by the cover! Do you like the sound?

Post edited by croo on

I'm no audiophile so I'm not going to be able to give you a proper opinion on what it sounds like. However - so far it has been a joy. only this afternoon I put on Ladies and Gentleman by Spiritualised - had it up fairly loud as there wasn't anyone else in the house and it was perfect to my ears .. no distortion or echo. For context it is positioned in a large long open plan kitchen with little or no soft furnishings. I had a pair of the original Apple HomePods in a stereo pair before and I always felt there was an echo / tinny sound when loud from them

On another note - it is ascetically a really lovely looking thing - so happy with it so far

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

>I'm no audiophile

Me neither! I had a typo in my response and meant to say, I would NOT know enough to advise...

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

deleted comment - looks like you made your purchase

Advertisement