Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead end - where to now?

Options
  • 07-08-2023 10:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Henry McKeon (Protestant, born County Kilkenny around 1856). His father William (my 3x great grandfather) was RIC and Henry joined up in 1875 and served until discharged in 1884 (don't know the reason). The next official record I can find of Henry is a death in 1915 in Dublin North where he is described as a bachelor and 'Pensioner RIC'. I don't think he was an RIC pensioner. He does not appear in the pension records and I think it would have been unusual for someone who had been discharged to get one.

I can't find him in either census in Ireland.

However in rootsireland transcripts of Paulstown RC parish records I find a baptism on 13 May 1887 of a Henry MacKeon, 'a Protestant about 30 years of age', followed by a marriage of a Henry McKeown to a Margaret Carroll on the 15th May 1887, his father given as William, the address given for both of them is Doninga. I can't find a civil record of this marriage, nor of any possible children, nor any sign of either of them in the censuses.

I would appreciate suggestions where I might look next.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Check parliament proceedings for the reason for his dismissal from the RIC. Some times the saga begins or ends with the local PM questioning or congratulating the Secretary or a Minister about the incident. It does not always mention the officers by name, so search using the local MPs name. Perhaps you’ll get lucky, I did. I had searched every where for the reason a relative was pensioned out very early, then one day I just stumbled across a question from the local MP as to why a certain officer was granted early retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

The informant on the 1915 death cert is Joseph surname is difficult to read but the address is 4 Fitzroy Avenue, same address as Henry

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05274/4464091.pdf

so I think this is that Joseph and Henry in 1911

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Drumcondra/Fitzroy_Avenue___Jones_s_Terrace_/24979/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks Jim2007 I will see can I find anything there.

55Gem. I'm thinking now that that census entry could possibly read Henry McKowen, The fact that he is listed as being from Tipperary leads me to think he is 40531RIC, which means the death in 1915 is not 'my' Henry, but a mistaken spelling of McKowen. Back to the drawing board.

I still have only circumstantial evidence that the Protestant Henry MacKeon/McKeown who married Margaret Carroll is the ex-RIC man. I am thinking I might look in the US and UK where he had relatives. The search goes on, but it's a big step to rule out that 1915 death. Thanks.

Advertisement