Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple same Christian name in Griffith valuation.

Options
  • 07-08-2023 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi All

Just looking for feedback from other users.

I attach extract of Griffith for mullamore townland in Louth.

You will see James Mullen is occupier of 2 adjoining plots numbers 3 and 4.

Usually when two Christian names something is added to differentiate eg James junior for father and son.

James Mullen does not live in mullamore. There are at least two possibly there in the area but they live in their respective parents houses.

Thank you for any guidance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not sure what you're asking.

It's generally accepted that if there's nothing identifying them differently, then the same name repeated in a townland is the same person. In this case, he's renting both plots from the same person too. It doesn't mean the person lived in the townland.

There's no way to tell from Griffith's if people with the same name in 2 different townlands are the same person. I use maps to see how close they are to their plots and other information like bmds or wills if they exist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi Pinky

Thank you.

The guidelines in the Surveyors handbook was to put all plots with the same occupier under 1 plot number with capital letters to distinguish individual plots eg 2A, 2B and 2C for 3 plots occupied by same person.

If different persons of same name guidelines was to use agnomen eg John junior where John is parent with land also in the townland.

I am trying to confirm if the James in Plot 4 is related to me.

I know for certain that James in plot 3 is related to me as this plot passed down to my GGF

Plot 4 transferred to a different Mullen linage.

Louis

Louis

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

My 3rd great grandfather died age 30. His widow is listed in Griffiths for five landholdings (from two different landlords and in two adjoining parishes ). No agnomen, no special mark of distinction, just her name, and I know it is her. Her son is also listed on an adjoining parcel of land. I don’t recall seeing ‘junior’ as an agnomen, usually it is a patronymic or another similar form of distinction. I agree with Pinky, it's the same person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You'll need to check Frances McGee's book for the definitive answer, but my understanding of the ABC with the same number is individual sections within the same plot.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi Pinky and Mick

Thanks for helping. If it is the same person it really confuses my research.

The land on plot 3 has come to my side of the family on valuation office.

Perhaps we are more recently related than I thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement