Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A keeled over apple tree

Options
  • 07-08-2023 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

I have some 60 or so yr old apple trees that have a tendency to fall down

Will they continue to produce if cared for?

The last one is the size of a small house and full of huge cookers.

Now it is leaning on its lower branches with its roots partially pulled up but not obviously broken.

It will need pruning anyway and I wonder if I can stabilise it somehow (too big for supporting with posts or similar)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,179 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have that identical tree that we have just been sorting out a bit. Old cooker, loads of fruit, over on one side, roots half out - and have been for a long time. Its pretty much the way it was when we inherited it, the top is now growing straight up.

You could find some hefty Y shaped branches and prop up the main tipped over branch just to give it a bit of support. Has it only just gone over? I took out one huge branch that was coming from way back on the main stem - to the extent that it has a stem - and was not doing anything useful in terms of fruit or leaves. Also several smaller ones in a similar situation in a different place, they had apples but they were growing on the ground so not much use.

You are not supposed to prune at this time of year, but the tree was so laden down that I figured I would chance it.

I'd be inclined to try and prop it a bit. If it is still loose in the ground you could put a rope on it (pad it) and pull it back to an anchor to lift it up a bit. Remember to change/move the rope at least annually. Don't pull it back without propping it though or it could swing sideways in a storm and make the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've an apple tree that keeled over in 2005, bit of pruning done, and it produces plenty of fruit still.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,179 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just found this, mentions a couple of the things I suggested.

Advertisement