Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Light

Options
  • 07-08-2023 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I have in recent weeks noticed pushers of that rag The Irish Light everywhere .... they are trying to exploit the fallout from the Tubridy RTE scandal to push their spiel of we tell you what RTE will never tell you ... they also push their paper as anti-establishment ... Then I just saw this ...

The Irish Light: Woman abused by paper which falsely said vaccine killed her son - BBC News

Wellknown ex journalist turned comspiracy nutter Gemma O'Doherty is the editor of this rag ... enough said ... and John Waters her sidekick in Covid related conspiracies writes for it ... enough said ... as well as this the paper is related to hardliners in Germany who tried to overthrow the German state and the paper is the sister of another one in Britain that once more spreads conspiracy lies ...

Why are these publications even allowed??? ... they are spreading lies and selling it as the truth ... the Irish light and its related publications in other countries are stirring up hatred and division ... they are trying to turn Ireland, the UK, Germany, the rest of Europe into societies like the pro-Trump parts of America ...

How dare these pushers of this rag start engaging with people going about their business ... when one is out and about they should not be hounded by pushers of lies that spread dangerous theories ... I think it is time we get serious on dangerous pushers of lies ... the likes of Gemma O'Doherty, John Waters and others like them are our Baked Alaskas and QAnon Shamans .... it is time something is done about these dangerous individuals ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm just this minute listening the BBC podcast about it. It's only 20mins long but gives a good overview of the story.

The baraster said the case against Gemma o Doherty and the Irish Light will set precedent in the balancing of free expression vs spreading harmful misinformation. Worth watching this case to see how it unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Just listened to it there now .. very revealing .. they are a horrible lot and have the ability to suck in the vulnerable at their meetings and events ... often tied in with fringe religious prayer meetings and the like ... that Nick character in the Handmaid's Tale and how Gilead sucked him in when he was unemployed/depressed/had tragedies in his life is exactly what happens ... I know some people who go to far right type meetings and they have nothing else in their lives ... it is their only social outing ... and this is the type of person they want to recruit and make them feel they care about them when no one else does ... the flashbacks to the Nick character in the first series of Handmaid's is exactly it ...

In Ireland these movements focus on 4 main issues ... abortion, gays, Covid 19 issues and immigration ... they spout lies and propaganda that suck people in ... they tend to excuse poorly regarded world leaders like Trump and Putin, they tend to be very anti any other religion that is not Catholic (or other Christian), they support each other .... they say they are pro life yet are often pro war (eg biggest cheerleaders of the Iraq war or sanctions against Iran and Trump withdrawing from the JCPOA .... ironically Iran is now ruled since 2021 by a conspiracy regime that was a kneejerk reaction to Trump's anti-Iran policy ... Iran had a moderate government then) ... they also issue death threats to journalists (as said in the podcast above) and others who question them .... pro life they are actually not ...

There is a need for responsible free speech .... and free speech is something that should not be abused by far right liars and hatemongers ... the law does need to be tightened so as to be able to deal with dangerous fanatics like Gemma O'D, John Waters and others while we still can ... the ideas these individuals are spreading are dangerous ... this is exactly how Hitler started and how the Tea Party (which lead to Trump) started ....

I haven't seen Handmaid's Tale yet but I take the point. These people definable offer something to these disaffected people. It offers community and a common enemy as you mentioned.

It also makes them feel special because they know something that nobody else knows. I saw a funny joke asking why none of the conspiracy theorists, who think they have it all figured out, stop and ask: "hold on, wasn't I thick as fcuk in school?".

I'd say you'd have a pretty unpleasant collection of people in the room at one of these far right meetings. Luckily, they're a small group and I wouldn't credit them with great organisational skills. But the fact that there are so many disaffected people out there shows that they are a byproduct of the society we make. A better society would have fewer of these people.

There's a live chat an TikTok with the woman who made the podcast linked above. Boards won't let me link to the stream but it's on now until 5pm. Marianna Spring is the woman of you want to search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Karppi

Marianna Spring is an excellent journalist who has produced a very illuminating and informative podcast series on Conspiracy Theories etc (on BBC Sounds, highly recommended). She also featured in the Sunday Times mag yesterday. One to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I'm going g to bet that their tactics will be the same as Alex Jones.

They'll make a big stink about how their freeze peach is under attack and frame the whole thing as that to try and grift donations out of their audience.

All the while they will deflect and avoid the fact that they enabled and encouraged the harassment of grieving parents for the crime of trying to get in the way of the conspiracy narrative.

Meanwhile other anti-vaxxers will try to distance themselves from Gemma and her lot. They'll ignore the fact they're using the same kinda arguments and the same sources and making basically the same claims. They'll throw a strop at the mere suggestion of any of these things.

At the same time and out of the other side of their mouths though they'll be whatabouting free speech and how Gemma and Co haven't been found guilty so we can't possibly accuse them of anything.

Then when it dies down and Gemma and Co weasel out of the majority of consequences, the whole scam will go around again with the next big event.

The far right have always latched onto some grievance ... and offered false hope ... Hitler presented himself as the 'solution' to all Germany's problems and gave us what his regime dubbed the final solution ... Hitler and his Nazi regime's violence started out with conspiracy theories of a 'Jewish/communist plot' ... sound familiar?? only today it would be a 'Jewish/communist/Islamic plot' ....

The views of the far right tend to be the same ... they started out in recent years in Ireland as part of the so-called 'pro-life' movement during the legalisation of abortion ... other causes then became attractive ... anti-gay ... Covid related causes like anti mask and anti vax ... and the current anti immigrant agenda ...

I agree that members of far right cults tend not to be the brightest yet they believe the world owes them recognition of their 'genius' ... in far right groups they get all the mutual worship they crave ... like that Nick in The Handmaid's Tale ... Gilead or what ever other far right entity empowers them ...

Prayer meetings .... bible study groups .... community meetings ... protest marches ... all these tend to be used as cover ... also them guys saying the rosary in public on our streets ... give someone a loud speaker and time they can preach their ideas all day to anyone who cares to listen ... thankfully no one listens 99% of the time and following so far remains small ...

But I agree ... they are a byproduct of a society we have made ... for example those long lockdowns of 2020 and 2021 played right into the hands of some of these far right extremists and the likes of Gemma O'D and John W suddenly got more support than they ever did ... the long lockdowns were giving people a sense of hopelessness plus the early in the pandemic dismissal of masks by the powers that be helped fuel the anti maskers later ... early on personally I had recognised other countries like the Czech Republic implementing mask policies as an alt to lockdowns and believed in them before the government here did .... homelessness continues to be a major problem and can be a valid argument for the anti immigration brigade ... the recent Tubridy scandal feeds the 'RTE is the virus' brigade ...

Most people can see the wrongs in long lockdowns, homelessness, Tubridy's payments, etc. ... but will not resort to far right groups ... that said and done many will and all these groups have to do is stay the course and wait for other political movements to fail in the eyes of the people ... as it stands a lot of people are tired of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael ... for now they turn to Sinn Fein ... but Sinn Fein is already too mainstream for many and if in government they would turn off some people ... this is where the National Party, the Freedom Party, Anti Corruption Ireland, Identity Ireland, Direct Democracy (or is that Direct Dictatorship!) et al could all score ....

The far right do not have to fix any problems ... did they fix the problems of the Weimar Republic or the Imperial State of Iran or Obama's USA?? No ... those 3 places were 1000% better before the far right self styled revolutions ... namely the Nazis, the Islamic Republic and the MAGA Trump Tea Party brigade took hold ... the problem is ... when they take hold they take hold and can be difficult to eradicate as all 3 examples show ... all promised heaven but produced hell ...

The anti vaccine and anti mask brigade will continue to remain a problem esp in winter when you can be sure there will be increases in Covid ... it is still a pandemic ... and flu .... and their agenda will skyrocket again the next pandemic ... For sure they will 'distance' themselves from the current leader if they are under scrutiny and group under a new leader who happens to be a pal of the old leader anyway ... for example it was Gemma and John first .... but when they were in trouble they went for an even more legit leader in science teacher (and friend of Gemma) Dolores Cahill ... Cahill in turn went to ground after a man dies from Covid related complications when he discharged himself from hospital on Cahill's advice ... then Gemma was back and the whole scam indeed goes round and round ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Isn’t Gemma especially toxic now, didn’t she go down the holocaust denial hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

I suspect there's a lot of cash behind these people, some of it Russian, others from our native Western oligarchs who think of politics as a plaything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

For some groups, especially conspiracy theorists, that isn't a deal breaker.

There's been plenty on here who've jumped in to defend and minimize holocaust denial cause of freeze peach.

But for things where there's a direct and clear victim, like a grieving parent getting harassed so a grifter can grift, most understand this looks really bad to defend.

Gemma has been toxic ever since she began her career as a far right conspiracy nutter after leaving the Irish Independent ... she only got worse and worse ever since ... she was already discredited by 2019 losing badly in elections but had a go at becoming the leader for anti-long lockdown/stay at home orders during the early chaotic days of Covid ... she failed to realise that the majority were not interested in her conspiracy based pandemic rhetoric ... most people were indeed anti long lockdowns/2-5 km rules/etc but they realised Covid was a danger and were instead pro the Czech or Icelandic or South Korean approaches to Covid .... which of course meant masks and contact tracing ... Gemma was a major part of the anti mask brigade and was against contact tracing/testing ... later on Gemma was prominent in the anti vaccine brigade ... all this coupled with her racist and negative views meant she was not as popular as she liked to believe ...

That is exactly it ... like Slobodan Milosevic before him Vladimir Putin is an ex communist turned far right nationalist leader ... unlike Milosevic his agenda is far more widespread than his own ex territories ... so his Russian regime has put money behind far right entities in other countrys such as the Tea Party/QAnon/Trumper Republicans, Paydari (Iran's far right current regime), Brexit, French and German far right parties, and you can be sure Gemma and co too ... as the Ukraine war drags on Putin's Russia wants to support these entities more and more ... you can also be sure the native businesspeople fund these too as they suit some agendas ...

Entities like the Irish Light are from the same source ... this video gives an idea of their tactics (The Irish Light at the Tramore Promenade 2023 Part Nine - YouTube) ... they seem stronger in some parts of the country than others it would seem ... not from the area in question so cannot judge how strong the political entities behind this ... ie Freedom Party/National Party/ACI ... are in the area ... there are at least 9 of these videos and I find it hard to believe that those in it are not doing this without some type of payment ... and the paper itself is being funded by someone if it can be given out as free ... content of this rag focuses on anti mask/anti vaxx, the 'plandemic', the great reset, Irexit, and other such favourites of the Irish far right filth ...

I feel too that the whole pro-Palestine movement ... which has support from both the far right and far left as well as with more centrist people ... can be equated with anti semitic agendas ... for many being anti Netanyahu's Israel and being anti Jew are the same ... there is an important distinction however ... Netanyahu's regime, a partly far right entity itself, does not represent all Israelis and definitely not all Jews ... but it is simple to lump all together ... it is also true that a lot of far right entities do not like each other ... Netanyahu and Paydari Iran for example ... but all follow the same style conspiracies .. although Netanyahu and Paydari do not seem to be big on the anti masker and anti vaxx stuff ...

For the anti-establishmentarianist neo-Christism of the current far right the above pictures probably only add to their agenda ... pin up boys to justify an anti non-Christian religion agenda with 2 non-Christians wearing masks as well !! ...

As for Gemma you see her pictured here in uniform

Someone pays for her 'yellow vest with Irish map' ... this was pre Covid and Covid gave her this Yellow Vest Ireland cause too ... it got nowhere and people are wise to her ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I also saw the back of a recent edition that had the headline "Aaron Brady is an innocent man" or some such.

What's the angle there? He shot a guard so these lads have to defend him?

This tells us all we need to know ... Aaron Brady is not innocent at all but suits the anti-establishmentarianism of the far right entities behind the Irish Light ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Gemma believes the troubles didn't actually happen........🙄

She defo believes they didn't happen the way they actually did .... she'd have her own conspiracy ... I am sure like most Irish alt politico types she considers herself and her cause the one true current political wing of the one true IRA ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Shir everyone knows the Jooze ran AngloIrish Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

What are her thoughts on David Icke who says Catholic Church is part of the cult?

I'm more interested in what the local homeless glue sniffer has to say.

• Advertisement

Funny thing is when Icke came out first almost everyone laughed at him .... now at least 40% if not half of people would kiss his feet and follow him .... he once said he was Jesus afterall !!

It is sad that this class is being radicalised and politicised by clever manipulators .... this is what Hitler did in 1930s Germany and Ali Khamenei did in 1970s Iran ... get an embittered, downtrodden group behind a far right flag and use them to do their dirty work while hiding behind a sickly elderly leader like Hindenburg and Khomeini ... The Irish Light has a lot to do with what happened last week in Dublin ... it is time that we stop history from repeating itself ... before anyone considers supporting the far right ... Nazi Germany caused and lost WW2 and modern Iran is a mess .... and that cretin Donald Trump would turn America into another mess ... Ireland is not perfect but let us solve our problems sans the far right and let us also acknowledge what is good in this country too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

What's this about!!!

Advertisement