Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuity Tester

Options
  • 07-08-2023 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me to where I can buy a simple basic Continuity Tester (Battery operated)?

I'm not looking for anything complicated, such as incorporated in a multi-meter or expensive, and not looking for bells and whistles such as remote use, polarity detection, voltage detection, working on live systems, or anything like that.

I'm looking for a bog standard Continuity Tester for checking the likes of broken wires, checking fuses, bulbs, etc. preferably with both a light and buzzer indicator.

I'm dammed if I can source one locally (Galway) or even online anywhere outside the USA.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

They aren't common any more as they don't play nice with electronics. You can make simple ones using a buzzer and LED etc, but they really have been replaced by DMM/DVM's these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Every multi meter other than the most basic has that function.

15 to 20 euro should get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'm aware of that and have DMM's a plenty, just want to get a simplr one, that's all

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Now here's a guy who still loves a standalone continuity tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

Screwfix you can pick up a basic meter there with that function, if there's none handy they will deliver.

Have one myself

• Advertisement

While I appreciate the posters who are trying to help, I think most of the replies are missing the point here.

I thought the OP was clear in that I don't want or need meters with the function, I have more than enough of them already.

I wasn't looking for alternatives, I'm simply trying to source a standalone Continuity Tester with no other functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah look, I went off researching one for you but I fell down a time-hole and ended up reading a PDF copy of Practical Electronics from 1976 which had a nice circuit for a capacitor continuity tester. 🤔

But other than that I didn't have much luck other than on some of the Chinese sites, and I'm kinda thinking that you're not going to find a reasonable quality one in this day-in-age.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The obvious question is why do you want such a thing when the multi meter will do this.

Appreciate your efforts 10-10-20, had been around in circles myself during my search prior to posting. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

If its a cheap, ready made circuit to test fuses etc you are looking for, and has to be sourced locally - What about using the below? just cut the wire loop and remove some insulation to bare the two wire ends....

https://www.dealz.ie/491532-berry-lights-8pk/

Use the bare wires to test fuses and light bulbs - not to be used on anything still plugged in or that can contain power like batteries obviously - you can cut off some of the lights without issue.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Boyds in Newry may have one.

Advertisement