Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco hiring age

Options
  • 06-08-2023 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hey everyone, little fella wants a job at Tesco. He’s 15, will he have to wait until he’s 16 or do Tesco hire at 15. Does anyone also have any clue what documents they ask for

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't think Tesco take them under 16

By law, children aged 14 and 15 cannot be employed in regular full-time jobs. However, they can:

• Do light work during the school holidays (they must have at least 21 days off work during this time)
    • Take part in an approved work experience or educational programme (once the work is not harmful to their health, safety or development)
    • Work in film, cultural, advertising or sport (under licences issued by the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment)

Parental written approval and proof of age is required, if they do.

The only way to be sure is ask in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Thanks so much. Would there be anyway he could spoof his age for the 5 months until he turns 16. He’s just so eager to get a job, he’s not in school anymore (long story) so he’s bored a lot and wants to start a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Personally I wouldn't encourage fraud to get a job. It's a poor example to set so young. Leaves an employer up the creek if any insurance issue arises. It's tough but he hasn't face up to the fact that he is still a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I'd suggest them say at school. It's a bit embarrassing to not have a secondary school cert... I know a friend who regrets for not finishing a school. He wants to do a carpentry apprenticeship but can't go there till he finishes a leaving cert... I wonder, why do some kids decide to give up school? It's an absolute bare minimum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, they will absolutely look for proof of identity including age. They legally have to ensure someone is entitled to work in Ireland for starters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Thanks everyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A career of crime? You need to stop teaching him that there are ways to avoid the difficult challenges in life. He has decided to make a monumentally stupid decision and he needs to start learning that such decisions have consequences. Start by making him earn his keep and pocket money in your household. I'm sure there many little jobs he can do around the house so that boredom won't be his problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There are many reasons, everything from sickness, a bad experience at school or a family where there is no one with the experience or knowledge to help them and probably lots more valid reasons as well. And as the economy edges towards full employment it is easy for these young people to find a job, because there is always need for hard physical work and so the new argument becomes - I don't need education because getting fine, I have a job like everyone else.... It's only much later they discover that as father used to drill into us decades ago - it's easier push a pencil than a shovel.

While society offers help for people with special needs etc... there is not much there to help young people that just fall through the cracks beyond a teacher, family member or friend taking an interest.

I was teaching in Ireland slightly more than 5 years and can say that school provides a support for pupils in such cases... I personally had one approaching me with a million of reasons wanting to drop a school. I talked to her and she changed the mind... Few years later she reached me out thanking. He parents are still talking about this and she's very proud about not giving up.

As I have 3 diplomas, I personally think that in these tech times absolutely everyone should have some sort of a higher education, even if they won't use for work, but for daily life at least. Schools no longer provide all the knowledge and skills needed for an adult life and a higher education could potentially fill some holes.

Sickness - school can accommodate (of course, can be extreme exceptions).

Bad experience - ha! Life won't get easier, need to suck it up and learn to be tougher. If only a few years left, counselling and patience can help. Changing school could be a solution.

I stand to my point it's shortsighted to drop a school. I unfortunately don't look at the adult people without a leaving cert the same. If I try to make a conversation with such people, I notice a lack of understanding and limitations. Some can be due to the fact that they put themselves down for not having a cert. But it horrifies me to think that people without a minimum education can even vote.

More of an addition to your comment rather than a reply... Just want to say the he could do these online career and personality tests. And then he could go for volunteering. Obviously, not all industries can accommodate volunteering, but he needs a bit of imagination and a strong will to do something... If the problem is that he doesn't have a motivation, then dropping a school would be a mistake because it will only spoil the problem rather than solving it. A psychologist could help to identify the problem and teach the tools to use for that. I'm again coming back to my opinion that school can teach certain skills, including resilience and discipline. If in September-October he'll be sitting home doing nothing productive, he'll eventually become just another social welfare seekers as he'll need money to survive. Depending on personality, he'll either enjoy this leach benefit or will feel not recognised every single day... I've been there for nearly a year and personally to me it was a pure hell for not realising my potential at work or any other activities. I then joined studies which lead me to a new career... Hopefully, he will look into this as an opportunity and won't waste his time... He's very young, it's ok to not know what he wants, but he's also too young to make such extreme decision as to drop a school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virtually nowhere will take a 15 year old as a volunteer as it raises child protection issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Get him back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Send him to youth reach. He'll get a weekly "wage" and a leaving cert. It's a mix of practical work, learning and life skills .

Advertisement