Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 06-08-2023 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We currently have a wooden fence around our front garden. It is beginning to rot and it’s a chore to keep painting it. Can anyone recommend shrubs to use as hedging that are almost maintenance free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MP4691

Anyone with any suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

I have a Portuguese laurel . It's fast growing and provides privacy..has lovely white flowers in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Muas Tenek

I have griselinia and Buxus (box hedging). For low maintenance I would say the buxus - I only need to trim it once a year whereas the griselinia usually needs 2 or 3 cuts per year. But the griselinia will get to the height you want much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you want something that requires less maintenance than a fence then put a wall in, cos there certainly aren't any plants which require less than a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's no maintenance free hedging. All need tending when young and clipping throughout their lives. It's not huge work but if painting a wooded fence is a chore then I'd suggest building a wall or putting a maintenance free fence up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 MP4691

Hi all. Many thanks for your comments/suggestions. What is a maintenance free fence - any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not advocating this company, as I know nothing about them, but a Google of maintenance free fencing gives the likes of this

PVC Fencing (maintenancefree.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

Just in from painting the 4 post fence other side of laurel hedging. Paint fence once a year it's up 10 yrs only small bits of rot on odd length its 60mtrs long & keep hedge trimmed twice a year both a pain but it's only a day in spring one in summer and one in Atumn. Even of you built a wall there's painting to be done.

Advertisement