Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with PA class buses leading to drivers been off sick

Options
  • 06-08-2023 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

A lot, (not just one or two) drivers have been signed off sick from Dublin Bus alone, due to problems with the PA class bus. The seating position, steering wheel adjustment (not working in most cases) but most of all, (and I've said it here before) the position of the hand brake been behind the driver. some comments from Dublin bus staff

'' Lads a quick question, has any of yis had or havin problem's with your neck and shoulders from drivin thouse PA's? I'm marked in on the 140's so driving them for the past couple of years. I see them on the 122's aswell. Just wondering has anyone else noticing this. It's got worse I'm out sick this week and have an appointment with GP and physio tomorrow ''

''I'm always wrecked at the end of the day whenever I drive them, I just can't find any comfort on that seat no matter what I try... horrible bus.''

'' Beeping noises, heavy steering that makes you take extra space on tight corners, the forever closing back door, the placing of the handbrake, the small interior in the driver cab, we could make quite a list. Whoever designed must have had a grudge on bus drivers...''

''Yes ,

I'm on the 122s . since the pa,s came Inn I have a strain in my kneck due to the seat and the head rest , whichever way I try to adjust it I still can't get it comfortable and sitting in that position for 8 hrs 

also at the start of the pa,s I tweaked my right shoulder from the position of the hand brake , pulling it back beyond an unnatural position 

I was out for a few days with it couple years back''

''I've been signed out with neck injury . Herniated disc that compressed against the spinal cord . Swear going on for 8 months . Got that bad I jumped of route 46a that had pa's onto a route with sg bus . Unfortunately damage ready done and hard to prove it. Neck, shoulder in pain and the Nerves are damaged to point I've sharp pains down right arm and my right hand has lost its strength in grip . I'm waiting for consult with a spinal surgeon and been told I could be it of work for over a year .''

The above is just a small fraction of complaints from the people that drive these things every day. Theres marked in drivers coming off routes with PA buses its that bad. Any drivers on here from Dublin Bus and even Bus Eireann feeling the same?

There's a major driver shortage as it is so having a type of bus that's injuring drivers needs to be addressed asap. I cant see the PA/PAD class lasting if this is happening.

PA class bus above. Bus Eireann have the same type but call them PAD class.

Thoughts?

Its a disgrace Joe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

As a passenger, the PA’s are my favourite bus to travel on now. I call them the extra legroom buses! Also the electric mode is nice and quiet.

Feel sorry for the drivers. Hopefully some mods can be done to them to improve the driving situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Very upsetting that it was designed with a thought of the passengers but it isn't that comfortable to the drivers. It's a work place of at least 5 hours a day and must be at least not be a harmful place. And I completely agree with the above that having a driver shortage we can't afford this nonsense. Can it be that the NTA has made a list of what they thought would be comfortable to the passengers but disregarded any suggestions from the Dublin Bus in regards to the driver cabin? Who did come up with specs and design of such bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

I drive them on the 15A/B and 41 routes, after 5 plus hours driving these my right shoulder does be killing me from the handbrake and I have a sharp pain down my left leg , when I get out of the cab I can barely walk. I prefer an SG over these any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

This is not good, not good at all, drivers should start refusing to drive them. I'm gone from the company myself, never had any at Clontarf but if I was feeling the way you feel I would simply refuse to drive them. There's horror stories from the UK too, something has to be done, cant have drivers feeling like you do on a daily basis.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I've noticed that more of the VTs and EVs have coming back into service out of storage. Is that because PAs are spending more time being checked etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Hopefully, that's because drivers are refusing to drive PAs, so it's then given VT and EV.

Unofficially (Ive been told first hand) The PA class in Dublin Bus has been off the road more times than any other class of bus over the last 30 years, now this is not 3rd hand or 4th hand, its from a very very good friend of mine who has worked in Dublin Bus on the engineering side of things for over 35 years.

Im not one to start rumors and my friend has always provided very useful information backed up always. The relationship between NTA and ADL has very much soured, the single deck electric buses will more than likely be the last buses we will see from ADL.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Hopefully this is the case, Dublin Bus and NTA really need to start listening to drivers more, these are the people who are spending all day driving the things so they will know first hand what way the bus drives and feels.

I can see drivers taking legal advice, its really that bad.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AX612

I'm not a driver, just a passenger. As a passenger, I like the heaps of legroom and the fact they're a quick bus to go but the suspension is horrible and it's only comfortable in certain seats on the bus. I've spoken to quite a few drivers who've told me they absolutely dispise driving the things. Steering colm doesn't come down far enough, brake pedal is too close to you, handbrake is in the wrong place. The driver is the last person who's thought about when modern buses are being made nowadays. Either the NTA need to modify them or the drivers need to begin a campaign refusing to drive them. I personally rather an older bus (ie. AX, EV) they're better built and more reliable then newer stock.

Advertisement