Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downhill Jumps

Options
  • 06-08-2023 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A question for you mountain bikers - I was watching a bit of the World Championships yesterday and was wondering about the way the riders were doing the jumps

This was the downhill event (not sure of its proper title).

On the jumps when they were in the air, the riders all seem to twist sideways. But I would have thought that would cost them time compared to staying straight.

So why are they twisting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's called a whip and typically it would be done to show off but in racing it's usually done to scrub off some speed so they don't over shoot jumps. It also looks cool as but can cost time/speed. Sometimes you'll find a whip off contest at these events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The other reason at a lower level is timing IIRC, I can't do it but better people than me have said they use it for timing on the jump and to stop them doing something else that will make the landing go wrong. I say this as someone who isn't able to. My jumps involve me leaving the ground, then hoping I survive, then landing. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. My shins are covered with the indents that serve as reminders that I have no skills on a MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Flagrantfolly

Remember watching a Remy Metailler video and he was explaining how, when it's windy, whipping or scrubbing a jump helps reduce the risk of being blown off line by the wind as it makes you and the bike more aerodynamic in the air. Like CramCycle above, I ain't doing whips or scrubs so can't vouch for this but have had a couple of spills when a gust has caught me mid jump and it isn't a nice feeling!!

Advertisement