Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Limerick to Dublin.

Options
  • 05-08-2023 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Going to cycle from Limerick to Dublin in the next couple of weeks. Wondering if anyone has done it before and can suggest best routes and what to bring etc. Any advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Maybe download the komoot app & it will give you a cycle friendly route.

A decent rain jacket might be a good bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

You can cycle a lot of the old N7-Nenagh Roscrea-Portlaoise-Monsterevin Kildare Town-after this it gets tricky-depends where your destination is in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Had a look at komoot for you.

It reckons nenagh, tullamore, edenderry, clane.

Personally I'd get komoot and plot something similar but maybe stick to smaller roads

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sounds like the best route although it's not something I have done myself.

Can't understand why Google or any other app is saying Tullamore or worse Mullingar. Portlaoise is definitely the mid point target over those 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

Cycle.travel gives a similar route. Nenagh, Birr, Tullamore, Edenderry, Clane.

The N7 is the most direct route (at least until Naas) but it would be a busy, unpleasant enough route on a bike, with the possible exception of the Limerick to Nenagh section, which has a bike lane the whole way.

Without knowing the exact start and end points, Google maps lists the distance from city centre to Trinity College as 195km. The quieter route from cycle.travel comes in at 217km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Take the cycle.travel route all day every day.

The best cycling is end to end, especially over that type of distance. Cycling the old N7 in the hard shoulder would be one way to take the fun out of it, although I suspect it wouldn't be that busy. The old N8 is certainly quite.

The Birr route makes use of canal in sections and county roads other than that. Should be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

The old N7 would be lovely with a nice southwesterly behind you, I'd be familiar enough with it on a bike from Borris in Ossory north and mostly it's fine to cycle if a bit boring, but from Monasterevin to J14 is horrible, loads of fast local traffic on a narrower road, it's not too bad then on to Kildare but from there to Dublin I'd be avoiding it, there are various options depending on the final destination in Dublin.

Coming up to Tullamore gives the option of the canal greenway to Edenderry but the roads towards Dublin out of Edenderry aren't wonderful for cyclists, frankly via Allenwood and Clane is horrible and one I routinely avoid, up to Johnstownbridge is better and the Royal canal is then an option from Enfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LazyCycle1

Thanks for the responses, this is exactly what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭vintcerf

found this on strava

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd be inclined to avoid busier roads like the R445 (old N7) in favour of quieter country laneways that can usually be found close to the busier roads. I use RWGPS or Strava Maps to plan a route. Real easy to do and syncs/uploads to my headunit.

I like end to end routes and have previously cycled from Limerick Junction back to Dublin on mostly quiet roads via Tipp town, Thurles, Abbeyleix, Stradbally, Kilcullen, Ballymore Eustace, Blessington, Dublin. I'll try dig out the route from RWGPS if you like. Just let me know.

EDIT: I found it easier than expected https://ridewithgps.com/trips/92875960

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Totally agree with this. The old N7 is a wide road so cars will be whizzing by whilst you’re in the hard shoulder. It’s not very pleasant to cycle on. If there’s any bit of a headwind you will have no break from it.

You don’t mention if you’re keen just to tick a box and get it done fast, or if you’re more looking for a memorable day out. If it’s the former, then the old N7 might fit, if it’s the latter then a route like crosstownk’s is a better fit probably.

In terms of what to bring, I’d say the most important thing this Summer is a light waterproof jacket, and then a couple of water bottles and some sugary snacks. Assuming you haven’t done too many 200k+ cycles (?) then the main thing to remember is to keep getting grub into to you from the start of the day so you don’t run out of steam later on. Petrol stations are good for this.

Thanks very much, really appreciate it. Cycled from Limerick to Nenagh today on the R445, 2.15 hours with a lovely tailwind, not much traffic with it being a bank holiday. Will check out the routes you have posted now. Thanks again.

Did the cycle today; left Limerick at 540am, arrived Clonsilla 410pm. Route I took after leaving Limerick was; Birdhill, Nenagh, Toomavera, Ballaghmore, Ballyfin, Portarlington, Maynooth and Clonsilla. No issues with the bike thankfully, and there was a lovely tailwind most of the way. My first 200k, and it feels great! Thanks again to everyone who posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Great day for it.

Sunny and strong tail wind.

Fair play. Big day on the bike

Advertisement