Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank App Security

Options
  • 05-08-2023 10:10am
    Administrators Posts: 354 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Revolut Megathread..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone else being made change there pin and then add a pin for there lock screen to be able to use the app? Both have happened to me in the last week and I'm hoping there's a way around the lock screen pin because i hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

If you phone has a fingerprint scanner or Face ID, you should be able to use that?

Id rather have nothing at all haha. That's how I've always used my phone but finding a few apps lately making you have some form a pin. Pain the hole. The whole over the top security with apps and services in general now is becoming crazy. Surely the pin in the app itself is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ill go with the fingerprint for now. Just so used to being able to swipe and my phone is ready. Hopefully its the last thing they add!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, I've worked in financial services for years and I'd much prefer my phone to be behind face/pin protection as I've seen the consequences of not doing so.

The pin on the app is plenty sure. Dunno why need another pin to unlock screen as well ha. Why I wasn't using Google wallet they do same. Ah sure I'll use the fingerprint it's not as bad as a pin. I'm just so used to swiping the screen all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And then you'll be the first one to whinge why somebody else isn't working harder to keep scammers away from you and robbing all your money.

For example, most SIM cards don't automatically have their own PIN turned on, so if someone robbed your phone, they'd only need to take the SIM card out, put it in another phone and get access to all your text password resets. Make sure you have a PIN on your SIM card.

My sim has a pin on it and there's a pin on the Revolut app already which was always there that should be all you need. No app should be making you add further pins or fingerprints or anything else to the lockscreen on the phone. I could be recommended to do it and then at least you would have a choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

What annoys me is how this new requirement that your phone must have a lock screen in order to use their app, impacts on how I use my phone for every other app, not just Revolut.

For instance, now if my Ring camera notifies me of an alert, I have to unlock my phone before I can open the camera - because Revolut says so?

None of my other banking apps require this (PTSB, Paypal, Credit Union, etc). It's really too much.

So far, using "Smart Lock" and/or adding "Trusted Places" and "Trusted Devices" on my phone has proved to be unreliable and unstable. It still f**king locks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I use FaceID to unlock my phone, to access Revolut, to access WhatsApp and other settings on my phone. It takes less than a second. I'm not sure what the fuss is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Its also doing annoying things like when you go to check your card details (eg. to enter on a payment site) it requests a six digit verification code which they send to your phone before they will let you see the card number.

That's called "two-factor authentication" and is becoming increasingly used by anything you have to log into. Even for something as basic as logging into your google account in a browser you've never used before on your device.

It's very good practice. Does your phone not have biometric unlock?

It does, but as I usually have my phone in a holder beside my PC it means I have to pick it up to unlock it each time as the fingerprint reader is on the back of the phone.

I just find it really annoying, and I don't appreciate Revolut taking the decision on whether to have such a lock on my phone out of my hands.

It should have been optional, with a disclaimer if necessary.

A screen lock is basic security and should be enforced by Android anyway.

I disagree.

My phone already has a PIN code to unlock it when I power it on, and Revolut has its own separate passcode required to open it as well.

Any additional phone lock should be at the discretion of the user, and not something forced on you by an app - especially when it impacts on all other apps as well.

I am considering cancelling my revolut account over this, as I've put up with it for few days now, and I'm not feeling any better about it. I can live without Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You make a fair point about not being forced down that road, but doesn't your index finger go round the back of the phone as you lift it up anyway?

I like my phone, and I liked how it was set up. No plans to replace it anytime soon. But thanks for your input.

I didn't have to lift it up out of the holder to use it until now. I had a screensaver that would come on after 30 seconds of no activity, and only had to swipe up to open my phone to read a message or check whose at my front door, or whatever. Now its wrecking my head.

Like has already been explained this enforced "upgrade" by Revolut doesn't only have an impact the Revolut app. It impacts on every app on my phone, and basically on how I prefer to use my phone.

It may seem trivial to some, but it is very irritating to me when I'm required to enter a six digit code every time I try to use my bloody phone.

• Advertisement

Once your phone is powered on it's wide open. Having a SIM pin will only stop miscreants making phone calls and sending SMS messages if your phone is off when they acquire it. You can disagree all you like, but you're wrong.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Is face id available on a Samsung phone for revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

Depends on your phone, but Samsung have facial recognition or finger print scanners on their mid range upwards phones. Think the app to set it up is Samsung Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

On the newer phones, fingerprint standard functionality, so no app needed.

You then have to the option to apply in many apps.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

MOD COMMENT

I have split this out from the Revolut thread both to not throw that thread and because I think it's an important topic that deserves its own thread.

I have also deleted a couple of comments that amounted to personal attacks, not relevant or just plain noise on the thread.

Please be respectful and mindful of our rules. Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There are many different perspectives on bank application security ranging from I want the most secure application possible to I want the easies application possible.

And as someone who has been on the other side, I can say the decision as to what will be used is very rarely a technical one, it all ways comes down to total cost of ownership - how much will it cost to implement, support and compensate clients when they are scammed. And yes sometimes the decision was to go with a less secure solution and compensate those that got burned.

From my perspective as a client, I don't care if the bank decides to take the risk and pay for the consequences. What concerns me is what happens when things go wrong? Is it going to be easy to get support, get temporary credit while the matter is being investigated and ultimately have the funds returned to me. There is little comfort in having a very secure application if you know it will be almost impossible to recover your funds when bad things happen. And the same goes for an easy to use application that is regularly scammed and you have worry about it and was time going through they motions to recover your funds.

So google, review reputations and try and choose a solution to give you the best balance that meets your needs.

I have been in contact with Revolut's Development Team, who said a phone lock should not be mandatory.

They asked me to update the app again this morning, (update dated 11 August) and then reboot my phone.

Since then, the requirement for a phone lock to use the Revolut app seems to have been disabled.

Hopefully, it stays that way.

Advertisement