Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any plans for rail link between swords, blanchardstown, liffey valley, citywest, sandyford, dundrum?

Options
  • 04-08-2023 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Wondering if there's any plans for a rail link around the m50 between these stops? Seems like it would be a no brainer to reduce pressure on the m50. Sucks that there's no direct public transport between swords and citywest - you have to go into town and back out which doubles the travel time.

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There was a previous plan called Metro West that would basically do this, it got cancelled and hasn't been brought back:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroLink_(Dublin)#Metro_West

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

This was a fantastic plan which was mostly through green fields so would be relatively cheap. Despite omission from the GDA plans I believe it will come back to the table soon.

It could interchange with Luas Red, Dart+ SW, Luas Lucan, Dart+ W, Luas Green Finglas, Metro Swords/Airport. It could even form part of the spur from Metro/Airport to the Dart+ Northern line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bebra

GDA Transport Strategy 2022-42 doesn't propose any orbital rail project and assumes buses will do the job. It does state that this may change as land is developed, or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Good to know what it says thanks. I suspect the orbital bus routes will be very successful, once they're fully up and running.

Assuming this success, calls for reinstatement of Metro West planning will come quickly and be loud. Inclusive of Swords, c. 250k people live along this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

However, as far as I know, there are feck all buses on the M50, so the buses are nowhere near competitive.

They should have run express buses on the M50 from day 1, so that if someone from Blanch got a job in Sandyford that they could get their quickly with no need to buy a car. We need a situation where people in these districts are able to take their local city bound bus to an interchange point, hop off and get a orbital express every 5 mins in peak periods, and take another bus at the other end if needed. The fare structure now supports this, but there are no buses.

Post edited by Charles Babbage on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Busconnects introduces various radial routes that will be very important in deciding whether Metro West gets dusted off - if they aren't successful it would hole any attempts to create demand figures under the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think you mean orbital routes.

Radial routes go to/from city centre.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Rail on the M50 unlikely to fit in the alignment. Metro West route should be preserved, just in case it ever becomes sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

Surely has to make sense already... would get a lot of use..I'd never use the m50 again if I could get a train from swords to citywest

• Advertisement
Advertisement