Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motorhome Purchase. Clueless. Advice?

Options
  • 04-08-2023 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Lots of info online, but you guys might be able to help steer me in the right direction. Currently living abroad, but thinking (with remote working etc) that we might be able to spend the summers in Ireland and escape the increasingly hotter summers in Europe.

It would be 2 people, 1 small dog, with enough space where we could work remotely at a table etc as we both work online.

From what I have seen, I would think pricing might be roughly around €40k. Due to bad luck buying used cars over the last 10 years, I am hesitant about buying used, not to say there is anything wrong with used vehicles, and our budget might dictate whether it is used or new.

Lots of models etc. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Shoog

I doubt you would get much new for €40k, think at least €65k

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Buy and register your motorhome broad (assuming you are living in Europe) and save yourself 13% VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Where are you going to park your motorhome? Where are you going to get water, dump sewage? How are you going to get power during office hours, as in plug in, have a generator or run engine or batteries?

Where are you going to get internet from, mobile internet can vary a lot but Vodafone broadband is stable in many areas. ?

Where are you going to park vehicle in the winter, ideally indoors if you want to reduce rusting etc?

Are you going to drive vehicle from.France etc to Ireland, if so will vehicle be legal in Ireland long term?

As a non resident can you get insurance, tax etc to legally drive vehicle on Irish roads if based in Ireland (prices in Ireland tend to be higher for vehicles due to small market and Irish taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I think you'd be better off doing an air bnb at least for the first year. Long term prob more expensive but you have the flexibility to decide whether to come to Ireland or not.

I've used a campervan a few weeks this summer, the van on its own is now 35k new and approx 20k went into conversion. But after a few days I can't wait to get out of it, ok for maybe 2 nights. A whole summer, working in it by day and sleeping by night, not a hope. Ireland can have extremely hot spells in summer too and our humidity makes it feel hotter than other places, even if the temperature isn't as high on the thermometer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OK so you buy one where you are living insure it, tax .... then come over here and work from it. That's all doable. You could bring it home and sell it at the end and do the same the following year or you could park it up for the winter or use it all year round. It's all doable. With 5G internet you'd be fine most places but you may have to go into a town to get and then park by a beach for the night.

I'd be looking at deaccent solar setup with two 120HA batteries and a 12V to laptop charger possibly 12v to usb-c, so you'll need lots of 12V sockets or an inverter. If you can get a camper with a gas oven you'd be doing well. Also see what fridge it is, it it gas powered. Then look at heating and shower toilet. You'd want good size water tank...

Basically mouch around the west coast staying one or two days in each sport you'll be fine, lots of surfers do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Yes, on reflection, that seems more realistic.

Did not know this. Yes, we are in Spain. A bloody long and expensive drive back to Ireland each year though!

We are going to look at options of parking it during the winter, indoors if possible. In the summer, we could park it at a relatives and either work from it using mobile broadband. Let's assume the connection is good.

The vehicle would be registered and parked in Ireland. Good question about insurance etc. Something I will look into.

Actually one of the most important things to find out would be how I could insure it in Ireland, if I were resident in another EU country. I am not even sure if that is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They's be tourists most policies give 90 days but they would have to tell their insurance company to be on the safe side

Advertisement