Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission

Options
  • 03-08-2023 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi there’s a bit of land next to my house and I was thinking of buying it for my son if he ever wanted to build on it.so my question is how do I go about it obviously I want to to be able to build on it but it won’t be for at least 20years do I need to go through planning and see that it would be straight forward to get planning on it in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,960 ✭✭✭✭muffler

National planning regulations and guidelines can and do change over time so what is permissible now may not be in 15 - 20 years from now. Likewise your local County Development Plan changes every 6 years ... not all aspects of it but it can do. Best advice i can give is apply now and if granted it will be valid for 5 years. You can then go through the same process again after that.

One final thing - dont buy the piece of land until you have planning. You can agree with the vendor to buy subject to planning. Unless of course you can use it for other purposes should planning be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

You will probably find it difficult to get planning on it now. If your son won't be building on it for 20 years he is probably a child and I think you need to be 18 to get planning. You are unlikely to get it in your own name as you already have a house and therefore you don't need another one

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Blues14

That what I was thinking that I won’t get planning permission when I have a house already just trying to think of the future it would be nice to have land next door to me if my son wanted to build on it.

Advertisement