Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyEnergi app accurate? and details on exported.

Options
  • 03-08-2023 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hey,

So recently got 16 PV panels and a Zappi charger and Sofar inverter installed. A Harvi was also installed at meter box as the panels and zappi are on a separate building than the main house. From what i was told the harvi feeds back data to the Zappi about stats of import and export.

Reviewing the MyEnergi its does not seem to show accurate results. It shows im not importing anything most of the time and that im not generating nothing either. What powering the house when this is the case. Many times when the sun it splitting the stones it shows 0 export and 0 import. Is this normal or is it supposed to be more accurate than this as some days its seems to show be accurate results. Like in the attached screenshot it should a spike of import when i boiled the kettle and made breakfast but no import the rest of the day. Also if i look at Sofar inverter app it show im always nearly exporting during day time but i know this is not taking into power consumed by the house which the meter is fitted on. The physical Zappi charger also rarely show any import or export.

The myenergi app itself seems pretty badly designed to me as I can only filter for today, yesterday etc.. but not specific dates/days. is there alternative apps out there that people would recommend?

My electric provider is Board Gas is it possible to see on their site what im actually sending back as I can't seem to find it. If not do they provide any details in the bill when power was sent back like 4Kw on 21st july, 1Kw 22nd July etc.. or is it just 20Kw for last bill period they provide.

Any advise or suggestion would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭DC999

24hour meters can't track export.

Unless you've a smart meter you won't get paid for FIT. Nor can you see that on your energy providers website or the EBS website.

Or unless you have a D/N. Then you get deemed export (based on the inverter size, not your PV output size). Which will b ended at a TBD point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Thanks for the response

I have a smart meter it was only fitted last year or the year before. A bit stupid these smart meters if you cant actually see your usage either on provider site or bill. I thought one of the main reasons for them was so you could see your usage and make changes to reduce costs.

i assume its the smart meter that is identifying how much is being exported?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭idc

Something wrong with your setup as MyEnergi  should show import/export based on grid CT and solar genertion from CT on power from your inverter. Does it ever show import/export or generation?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If setup correctly (mainly CT's) the myenergi is pretty spot on.

But I agree with getting data out of the myenergi system isn't great, went for the simple and easy approach vs flexibility for more " power" users.

Is a sofar a hybrid, and battery with its own CT or is it just straight inverter?

CTs?

Some days it works fine but most of the time it shows nothing.

Sofar is a hybrid inverter. Didn't want to spend the extra few grand on a battery but wanted the option to do it later.

Being honest that sofar is crap for getting data out of too.

Could it be the internet. I got the thing hardwired to router but internet isn't most stable as it's miband. Would the app not just show disconnected if no internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

A CT is used to to monitor import and export. I presume it is already installed.

If it is only recently the data has disappeared check on your Zappi to ensure the time and date is correct.

When I recently updated my Eddi to firmware V5 it set the date back to 1970 and no data was showing in the app.

If still not working log a ticket with Myenergi support they are pretty good.

Yes I believe there is a CT around the cable that goes to the meter but I'll confirm when I'm at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had issues with myenergi after a powercut and it was showing 0 import 0 export but the actual wall mount you could see it. From google at the ie it was a simple solution of turn it off and on again and it restored. Seems to be a common issue if there is a power trip.

Check the time as well on your Zappi just in case. It took me ages to figure out why the data suddenly disappeared I only copped when the date it happened lined up with the firmware update.

You said the myenergi is using a harvi?

That gets power from energy harvesting from the grid CT and possibly some of the time it's not getting enough power to run itself.

The harvi really should have a solar CT too because if the grid isn't being used, the solar is supplying the house.

There's a possibility of needing it to be moved to the consumer unit not the meterbox so it can pickup the power coming from the solar and the grid.

• Advertisement

@Ha Long Bay

So i checked and there is a harvi in the meter box and it looks to be connected to a CT.

https://i.imgur.com/EODNxzp.jpg

@graememk are the CTs suppose to be lose around the cable. I can slide the CT up and down the cable. How can the harvi draw energy when its not event touching the conductor?

I update the Zappi to the latest version and move the Harvi around a little and it seems the zappi is picking up something as its now showing on the charger itself that i am import.

I think maybe the harvi was not sending the signal to the Zappi. I'll monitor over the next few days as see if it improves at all.

I also unplugged the zappi from the internet and was still able to connect to my energy app with no errors so it looks like the myenergi app is not in real time and i dont think it actually alerts if its cant connect to the Zappi.

The CT clamp will not be locked tight to the cable but will still work fine.

On the Harvi there should be an intermittent flashing green light to show it is powered and working.

It's flashing green and showing import and export on the zappi and app now.

I'll have a look at the zappi manual later and see can I figure out does it show any info about being disconnect from harvi when no import /export is shown

Log a call with Myenergi as well as they will be able to tell you what is happening at the backend to see if something is not right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The myenergi app itself seems pretty badly designed to me as I can only filter for today, yesterday etc.. but not specific dates/days. is there alternative apps out there that people would recommend?

@grimeire you have a custom date selection date on the App, sounds like you are not “scrolling” down to see it.

if this was a recent install I would also consider getting installer back, they have a tendency to install and leave and not leave customers with proper monitoring setups, we see it here time and time again

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Thanks i totally missed the custom option.

yes it was only installed a few weeks ago.

calling installer was my next step if it happens again but seems ok since i updated firmware and was looking at harvi yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

You can check the import and export data on your smart meter through the ESB networks site, just register an account below. You can see a graph there and download an excel spreadsheet with the data

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connections/meters-and-readings/my-smart-data

Just be aware that the ESB data you download is in kw (not in kwh) for a 30 min period. So you will have to convert it to kwh by multiplying each 30min kw reading by 0.5 (i.e. 30min/60min = 0.5). Easily done in a new column alongside the downloaded data.

I've checked mine periodically and it pretty much tallies exactly with the myenergi app figures. It doesnt match up with my export figures on my Huawei inverter though (the inverter reading for export just not as accurate I think)

Thanks I'll check this exactly what I was looking for and will check it out the weekend.

I have the same problem with inaccurate data from my inverter but was told my installer this is normal due to the inverter being on a separate fuse board and that I should only rely on myenergi data.

Just looking at this now.

Is the only way to work out the export for a day to download the CSV add all the "Active Import Interval (kW)" for a day and then multiply by 0.5 to convert it to an Kwh? You would think they would make it easier for someone. At least its easy to just write a excel function to do it.

The myenergi app is definitely wrong with the import and export.

on ESB site for export on the 5th of august i have 38.356 per kW1/2h = 19.178kWh where as on the myEnergi app i have 24.6kWh

for ESB site for export on the 6th of august i have 55.878 per kW1/2h = 27.939kWh where as on the myEnergi app i have 34.5kWh

Looking at the results of the app it is saying im exporting in the middle of the night too and that could not be possible as i dont have a battery and their is no sun to generate it.

there is missing data in the myenrgi system look at the flat line of export from 8 or 9 ish to 3 am (its dark!)

• Advertisement

Yeah something strange going on there. You must have consumed some of your kwh generated from PV that day too? But it's shows import / consumption stopping at 8.30am and then it all goes export

Do all your days look like that on the history?

Just thinking out loud, but could be some of the below issues....

Maybe an issue with the CT setup? CTs installed the wrong way around?

Settings on the master device not setup properly?

Is there a CT installed for measuring generation?

The figures on the ESB meter that you downloaded should be reliable though....so you should get your installer back out to look at the way your system is setup again.

Only one or 2 days seems like that so far.

As far as i can see there is only a CT by the meter box. I dont think there are ones by the inverter or anywhere else. Ill have a look at the zappi to see the connected devices listed in case im missing another CT.

If I'm not mistaken I think you need a CT measuring the generation also so that it can work out what you are consuming from the PV.

PV Consumption = Generation - Export

What does the home screen of your MyEnergi app look like? Does it show the PV production?

you dont need generation, all you need is to see the grid. and how much is exporting

Having a generation ct is useful, for seeing what is going on, but not needed.

Oh right, how does MyEnergi app work out what you are consuming from the PV then? Measuring export is only one part of the equation? Just wondering - as I havent looked in depth at my own setup but I just know there is a generation CT and another CT on the ESB Meter tails

To run the eddi or zappi, all it does it try to keep the grid as close to zero, or whatever you have it set to (mine is 100w export) so if it gets higher it kicks in and starts say the eddi, and keeps the grid at the 100w export.

The generation CT is just for more information.

Why would you need a generation CT.

Dont all inverters tell you what was generated like it does for me.

Yes, it will tell you through your inverter app, but that measurement is not necessarily shared with the myenergi app

• Advertisement

ah i get you now. makes sense having the data all in one place but not sure how accurate CTs are in comparison to inverter data.

Advertisement