Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First European (Alps) Camper Van Trip

Options
  • 03-08-2023 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, going on my first European camper van trip next week for two weeks. Hitting the Alps and starting in Lindau, Germany. Just wondering if anyone has tips on any of the following...

1. Campsites - best website/apps to use

2. Must see or do things in Switzerland, France, Italy, Austria or Solvenian Alps! 

3. Are tolls expensive for camper vans in these places, it's a 4 berth. 

Or any other tips/advice greatly received! 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

A lot will depend on what sort of group is travelling - A family with young children is going have different requirements that a pair of adults.

1) Apps like Park4Night will show you campsites, aires and parking spots. In France, an app like CampingCarPark allows you check for available space in aires and pre-book (though you need to pre-purchase an app package)

2) Tolls can be expensive so unless you need to use motorways to make progress, they are best avoided. You can get electronic tolling devices from Bip&Go https://www.bipandgo.com/en/ which will cover some but not all of your destinations. Austria requires you to buy a Vignette online before using the motorways. https://digitale-vignette-online.at/en

3) If heading to the Alps, make sure the camper is in good nick - the roads can be very demanding on the clutch on the way up and the brakes on the way down. I had severe brake fade descending the Grossglockner in Austria last year as the road is too steep for engine braking on a manual gearbox so you are on the brakes for 15-20km. If you are planning on driving the high passes and the van has plastic wheel trims, take them off to improve the airflow.

4) "Standard" car sat-nav may try to route you through sections that are unsuitable for a camper e.g. low headroom. But even camper / truck satnav apps are not infallible - last year one tried to send me down a road that had a very low bridge - as in 6 feet headroom low. Think of the sat nav as a suggestion rather than a guarantee of access

5) If this is your first time in a camper, draw straws now for who'll deal with emptying the toilet cassette!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks @Mefistofelino that is super. It's just my wife and I have a feeling I know who will be dealing with the toilet cassette 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What age is your camper? You need to be careful of low emission zones around Europe and what age of vehicles are allowed access.

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/

Advertisement