Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house, what's the best option for UK channels

Options
  • 03-08-2023 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I've just moved into a house on the east coast that has a working aerial pointing towards Mt Leinster and a satellite dish that has partially fallen off its mount.

I'd imagine that the common sense thing to do is fix up the satellite dish and buy a combi set top box to receive all stations.

The only thing that has me thinking otherwise is that already have a pretty good UK freeview box that picks up saorview also. I've tried with a neighbour that picks up both aerial signals and it works well.

Would it make any sense for me to get another aerial installed pointing towards Wales, or just go with the FTA satellite option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Satellite would be the more reliable option; terrestrial outside its intended service area comes with no guarantee. Terrestrial would be easier to distribute to multiple points though, so you could use a mixture of both if you want TV in a few rooms but can live with a bit of unreliability in some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We are east coast and while mostly use Freesat for UK channels, we also use saorview on some TVs and get foot reception on most UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Satellite is always going to be more reliable. Plus you’ll have more channels in HD.

Do you know what transmitter the uk channels are coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 c2r

I used to live in an area with no terrestrial signal, so put a quattro LNB on a satellite dish and fed that to a multiswitch in the attic, and from there distributed the signal around the house.

I've got an EMP Centuri multiswitch https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/emp-centauri_multiswitches.htm#5in (I'm not affiliated with this website but have used them in the past) which in my new house I also use to distribute UHF and DAB signals. At the other end of the cable run, triplex plates are used to separate the signals back out again.

Note that the EMP Centuri also appears to support quad LNBs, if you already have one, but I was told that a quattro was more reliable over a longer term because of the lack of requirement for the LNB itself to switch.

This is probably more a topic for the satellite discussion area though!

Advertisement