Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty Training - 3 Year Old Resisting/Not Getting It!

Options
  • 02-08-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

We are trying to train our 3 year old girl. This is the third attempt. 1st time at 2.75 years didn't go well at all. Revisited it at approx 3 and showed a little more effort but still not enough after 2 weeks so agreed to revisit. She is now 3years & 3 months and I can't understand how she is not getting it. We have tried every thing. She shows some signs. Talks about potty and being a big girl etc. if you set her on and leave her she will eventually pee and gets really excited and loves the praise but she doesn't tell you when she is ready to go.

She is at creche and had some limited success there but is starting formal nursey school in September and everyone there will probably be potty trained.

Don't know what to do or when to start getting worried :(

Her speech was a little slow at coming but is pretty good now and it has been a busy time in this house with lots of distractions she has an older brother soon to be 5 who she loves playing with and there is also a new born baby girl at 9 months that requires a lot of attention too.

Any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Hi there, sounds like there's a lot going on in your life and hers so I imagine its a busy time for you all! I have a son who I potty trained just after he was 3. I did a potty training course online which sounds a bit overboard but it did really help. Before doing the potty training, I did lots of preparation with my son by reading books about it and watching videos. The course that I did recommended against bribes but I ended up giving my son a chocolate button everytime he used the potty. I didn't wait for him to suggest using it. I put him on it myself every 30 mins at first and then every hour. The chocolate button as a reward really helped. And after a while Id 'forget' the chocolate button and then eventually he'd forget about it too, so we phased it out pretty easily once he was properly potty trained. Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

We trained our little boy at 3 and a half. He was too stubborn prior to this and just wasn't getting it. Some tricks we used.

• Buy a kid's book about potty training. Read it to her every night.
    • Don't train on both the toilet and the potty. Stick with the potty to start.
    • Let her walk around the house in the nudies so she can see herself weeing and let her make accidents.
    • Keep the potty in one place. The best place is where she plays during the day.
    • Introduce, washing hands and other little tasks to get her involved.
    • Don't be afraid to put a nappy on when shes out. Teach her in small windows when shes home and widen these windows over time including outside of the house.
    • Train her when you can give her a full week at home. Maybe during holiday time.
    • Stay away from giving rewards as she may start to look for them even without doing a wee in her potty. Rewarding with chocolate and treats benefits the parent more than the child.

Most importantly, she will get it when shes ready. Don't put yourself under any pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Thought I'd update. So after frustration and more frustration my little girl has gotten it (well almost). She didn't seem to be getting it at all and then one day out of no where about a month ago her mum was working and I was on minding duty for all 3 under 5s and didn't have time to concentrate on it so had kind of written off the day before it began.

Out of nowhere I spot pee in the potty and she said i did a pee! :D Can't describe the feeling. Like winning a Championship! Huge celebrations!

She just started going off on her own puling up and down herself.

The only problem we have now is she goes to do a poo and a few things can happen.

• she doesn't do enough and finishes off in the pants later
    • she tries to clean it all up herself and makes a huge mess (wish she would ask for help)
    • recently (although she has been sick) she is not goin to the potty and just pooing her pants!

Anyway all in all well pleased now she is 3years 5 months at got to this point and thanks to all for the help above

Advertisement