Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Getting it handy"

Options
  • 02-08-2023 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everybody, it's my first time here. I'm a literary translator, currently working on Sebastian Barry's "Old God's Time". The book's full of Hiberno-English words and structures and I've plenty of queries to raise. I really hope you'll be able to help me with them, from time to time. Right now, I stumbled upon the following lines, part of a dialogue between the main character (a former Garda) and the telephonist working at his old station:

‘How’s the hubby – Jim, isn’t it? Is he getting it handy?’

‘Handy-out,’ said Dymphna, who was a Wicklow woman.

Now, what does "getting it handy" mean? I already looked up the Internet and my dictionaries, but "to have smth handy" is not what I need here. If you want more context, let me know. But the exchange between the two pretty much ends here. Thank you in adavance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think handy there means something between 'easy' and 'convenient'. There is a subtle sub text though that I am not sure I can put a finger on that implies its working out nicely for him.

The 'handy-out' suggest she is agreeing that it is working out for him, couldn't be better.

Don't take my word for this, I am a blow-in so I might be a bit off the mark. Be interested to see what others say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's it really. If someone is 'taking it handy' they're not doing much work or they're having an easy time of it.

'Getting it handy' is a bit of an unusual use of it I haven't seen before though.

‘How’s the hubby – Jim, isn’t it? Is he taking it handy?’ is how I'd have written it in that context.

I haven't heard anyone say 'handy-out' before, am guessing that's a modified version of 'happy-out' which seemed to appear out of nowhere about ten years ago and really caught on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lindy123

I would agree with @looksee that 'handy' in this context refers to life being easy and without any major worries. Most definitions of the word tend to refer to convenience. In this context, there are some parallels in meaning - but I would suggest the Garda character is questioning if the husband Jim is finding 'it' (life) to be without any inconvenience that might bother him.

The 'handy out' reply reminds me of the more common 'happy out' which is an expression I really don't like, as I never think it makes sense, perhaps because I don't know its origin. But Dymphna's reply suggests that her husband is carefree and without worry.

I haven't read the book you're translating, and I'm not Irish - so don't quote me! - but I do have a love of everything word-related. Best wishes for the project ☘️

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'Happy-out' does seem to be strongly disliked, I know I wince any time I hear it, it just doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭babyducklings1

Getting it handy means having an easy time/ life. I’ve actually heard it used in this context. It’s much the same as saying getting it easy or having it easy. I’ve also heard ‘ handy out’ and the interpretation in conversation meant very handy, very easy, very convenient etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pleiadi

Hi again, and sorry for not coming back to you sooner. When I posted my query I duly took note of the name of the forum and all, and then lost it. Two minutes ago an English colleague of mine wrote to me saying "Hey, I've seen your post on boards.ie", and I nearly fainted out of shame. Thank you everybody, I'm still trying to make sense of so many difficult passages in the book, but here's at least one problem solved: phew! I wish you all a Merry Xmas. Say hallo to Ireland from me.

Advertisement