Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which micro inverter is more suitable?

Options
  • 02-08-2023 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I have a question and would like to hear your thoughts. I'm looking for a micro-inverter to be used in a balcony photovoltaic system, the system size is about 800W.

I looked for products from some big name manufacturers, I think Enphase's IQ7A model and apsystems' DS3D model are good. But the DS3D of apsystems seems to be suitable for the power system of 1800W, which is much higher than the power of the photovoltaic system on the balcony I planned. Will this affect anything?

In addition, I recently got information that the brand of photovoltaic panels I purchased, Maysun Solar, recently launched a new balcony photovoltaic product, using hoymiles micro-inverters. It just so happened that I noticed the hoymiles brand during my search, and the PV panel model I plan to use for the PV system is roughly the same model as the one in the new product. So I also want to know about the hoymiles HMS-400-1A model micro inverter.

Has anyone used the same model inverter? Are there any caveats or suggestions?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi,

I'm using the Hoymiles inverters. I have the HM series which is the 2.4Ghz communication frequency type; the HMS models are the sub-1Ghz communication frequency type.

They appear to be efficient, the modules are telling me that I'm getting around 95% efficiency most of the time. They are fully weather-proofed as long as you wire them with the right connectors. They have a monitoring and configuration controller which is called the DTU (either a 2.4Ghz one or sub-1Ghz), but it's very expensive for what it is, especially if you're only going to have one inverter.

As for sizing panels and microinverters can I advise that as you're installing a balcony system that you oversize the Wp versus the inverter as you'll save some significant money there and you shouldn't try to match the sizing as your panels won't be at an ideal pitch (plus, you're in Ireland so the sun is less strong). See this article here: https://energyd.ie/dc-over-sizing-pv-solar-in-ireland/ If I had 2x 400w panels, I'd buy a dual-input HMS-600 or HMS-700 inverter.

As for the monitoring of the inverters and panels, you can then buy a DTU running OpenDTU instead of the Hoymiles one, you just need to get the one which matches the frequency of the inverter comms. This one is the sub-1GHz hardware:

Advertisement