Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD French/Spanish-> DCU ALTS French/Japanese

Options
  • 02-08-2023 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to make an account to get some insight on this as I haven't really found any recent posts discussing this course and I'd like to ask a few questions to DCU students studying this specific course.

For background, I started my course in UCD for French and Spanish in 2020 after the LC. At first it was ok, with French being exceptionally demanding but Spanish being quite enjoyable. I did well enough in my first year but due to personal circumstances I wasn't doing as well in my second year and found myself really resenting both UCD and the language department. I wanted to take some time to think so I took a leave of absence and came back to try my best to stick it out and keep my head down because I love languages. I felt even worse after my return to campus and really started hating both my course and the college itself so I spoke to my student advisor about dropping out. Around this time, I went to an open day at DCU with my friend and attended a talk on the ALTS (applied languages and translation) course and spoke to the woman giving the talk about my situation. I really liked the layout of the course and the DCU campus so I dropped out of UCD and reapplied to this course and worked in the interim to save money for my fees.

I just wanted to ask students currently studying or who have studied this course (even if you didn't choose the languages in my title) how did you find it? And if you graduated from this course, how did you fare post graduation in terms of employment? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance and I'm looking forward to joining your college hopefully this September :)

Advertisement