Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying Microcement on Hemihydrate screed

Options
  • 01-08-2023 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I understand that you cannot apply cementitious material on top of a hemihydrate screed (dries without a latience). There is some preparation perhaps that might create the necessary separation. I was thinking of using some sort of epoxy primer. Anyone have any guidance or suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,191 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why would you be applying micro-cement over a hemihydrate screed?

Seems they would have very different use cases. My default would be either microcement over cementitious screed. Or if buildup a concern, the microcement could level a bit of unevenness in the substrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 playitagainsam

Why would you be applying micro-cement over a hemihydrate screed?

The screed is not a workable finished floor. You need to apply your floor finishes (e.g. tiles, laminate, microcement). In our case we would like microcement finish in the bathrooms.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Suggest the manufacturer/distributor/installer must comment. Ideally with evidence base case studies and data sheets etc. I’d imagine prep and primer would be really important + Moisture % of slab.

interested to know how you go. Please report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,191 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you are misunderstanding. I'm aware a hemihydrate screed is not a suitable finished floor. I'm asking why would you use a screed in that hemihydrate screed in this instance where you are planning a cementitious floor finish. It seem redundant, and sounds like its crating issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 playitagainsam

I'm asking why would you use a screed in that hemihydrate screed in this instance where you are planning a cementitious floor

That's because when the screed was going in, I was ignorant about this issue. Only found out after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement