Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers, Wines & Spirits

Options
  • 01-08-2023 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Before there was only the traditional beers such as Bass, Guinness and Harp, now there are loads of bars that have 30-40 beers on tap.

What is your current favourite new type beer you have tasted here or somewhere else in the world recently?

😏

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Before there was only Bass, Guinness and Harp, there were hundreds of breweries in Ireland and a broad range of beers. Never think that how things went in the mid-20th century is how they always were.

I like barrel-aged saisons. Wide Street in Longford and Black Donkey in Roscommon have done some really nice ones recently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I haven't seen Black Donkey around Limerick for a while, now that you mention them. Must look out for their stuff again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My favourite beers are not new.

• Geuze
    • Guinness Foreign Extra stout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I love Black IPA, it's an incredible "modren" style, the way it's made, it's not just a hoppy stout (although hoppy stouts are works of art too) - a properly brewed Black IPA is a thing of beauty. Add some rye into the mix and you elevate it a good bit more.

Of the plethora of German, Czech and other mid-european lagers, Dortmunder is my favourite, but not that broadly available here in Ireland, after that a Munich Dunkel is hard to beat, the best one, in my opinion, being Weihenstephaner Tradition - which you can get in good off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was picking up some Belgian beer to enjoy while watching the Grand Prix at the weekend.

I got Duvel and Stella both of which I like.

Also in Tesco I bought a couple of cans of Martens Lager. It's 3.5% and not bad at all if you fancy something light .€1.40 for a 50cl can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

I have always enjoyed Saint Etienne, Belguim lager beer from Aldi. It has a nice creamy smooth taste. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m very partial to red ales. Out and about I’d opt for Smithwicks but I’m really liking Western Herd’s Atlantic Red Ale at tge minute. Also their Siege Pale Ale. Black Donkey do nice beers. Western Warrior is a great lager I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mahons (was Sweetmans) near OConnell Bridge in Dublin do a nice red ale. Porterhouse also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Double post

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I still call it Messrs Maguire.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

I see Peroni have reduced the alcohol content here from 5.1% to 5.0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

profit marginally i would imagine as less tax.

Post edited by dubmick on

Advertisement