Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 31-07-2023 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for upgrade advice. Current setup -

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT
    GPU: ASUS R9 290X DirectCU II OC
    RAM: 24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7 (MS-7916) (SOCKET 0)
    Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750W
    Storage:
    1863GB Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB (SATA (SSD))
    1863GB Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB (SATA (SSD))
    931GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))   
    223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 (SATA (SSD))
    931GB Western Digital WD 10EAVS External USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD))

I do have Dual Display. I'm happy with Case and Storage. I would also hope to carry PSU forward.

So long story short I built this a good few years ago. I use it for gaming as well as day to day stuff, gaming is as intensive as I get. Due to years since I built this I would like advise on best mobo, cpu and gpu upgrade? Along with any other input!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Best CPU: AMD 7800X3D; best value: AMD 7600, 5800X3D or Intel i7-13600K.

Pair with 2x16GB DDR5-6000/CL30.

GPU I'd recommend up-to AMD RX 6800, or Nvidia RTX 4070. Anything above tends to get super expensive & use lots of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭friedcircuits

Any mobo for your AMD and Intel recommendations that I can look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For AMD B650: Techspot roundup

Though TBF most boards have no issues unless you're trying to run lots of M.2 on a budget, where you might run out of PCIe lanes. Only boards to avoid are Gigabyte B650M K, ASUS Prime B650-Plus & B650M-A WiFi.

So after spending probably too much time today looking at this here is what I've come up with -

CPU: Intel Core i5 - 13600K (I've always had Intel so I will probably continue)

Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero (Open to other suggestions, it is on the expensive side but I do like the specs)

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX6800 Pulse OC Gaming 16GB (~€560 on computeruniverse.net, again open to suggestions)

Everything else I listed will remain.

Any input from anyone appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

I'd get neither and go for the 7800X3D if you really are looking at spending €900 on your CPU and RAM.

Putting aside the question of putting a €600 mobo in a old case with restricted airflow and a used PSU, what exactly are the specs on the Hero that you are sold on? Not trying to be smart and asking on the off chance that there is a good reason but actually worried that you are buying into marketing a little.

• Advertisement

The Asus mobo just seemed similar to my existing msi one - gaming mobo with extra features not usually on normal pc's. My case is only a few years old with plenty of space and cables are managed behind the other lid if you know what I mean - i.e the main area is not a tangled mess and airflow is not a problem. I've had current CPU, Mobo and GPU (well GPU blew just as covid blew up along with prices and no stock, but I got same card 2nd hand) and I'm guessing they're at least 9 years old. LGA1700 is on its way out so I'm looking to get something similar to what I have now but up to date with what's available now and not waiting for new stuff that'll do me for the next 5+ years.

Apart from GPU fail my current setup never let me down and did everything that I wanted - it could probably do more that I never bothered (OC etc but I'd like the option!) Funny enough picking a mobo seems to be the hardest part and I remember it took awhile for me the last build too.

So hope this explains my thinking (or lack of!)

Hi all,

So after the day researching, comparing etc I've come to a new parts list - thoughts?

PC Builder Part List: https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/5XR2be/

1. Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-14700K, 20 Cores & 28 Threads Unlocked Gaming Processor with Integrated Graphics

2. Motherboard: MSI MEG Z790 ACE Motherboard E-ATX (1 x M.2 Gen5, 4 x M.2 Gen4, 2.5Gbps LAN, Wi-Fi 6E)

3. CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 360mm Radiator, Triple 120mm ML Series PWM Fans, Advanced RGB Lighting and Fan Software Control, Intel 115x/2066 and AMD AM4 com (HAVE ALREADY)

4. Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case (HAVE ALREADY)

5. Graphics Card: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

6. RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 7200MHz CL34 Intel XMP iCUE Compatible Computer Memory - Black (CMT32GX5M2X7200C34)

7. Power Supply: ASUS ROG Thor 1000W Platinum II Fully Modular Power Supply (1000 Watt, 80+ Platinum, Lambda A++ Certified, ROG Heatsinks, 135mm PWM Fan, 0dB Mode, OLED Panel, Sleeved Cables, Aura Sync)

Decided to upgrade PSU also, may change but will stay in or around 1000W.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I am not sure I understand why you are pumping so much cash into things that don't really make any difference to gaming.

Like is a crazy expensive motherboard needed? A 1000w plat psu?

Personally I would rather a cheaper board and PSU and put the money into a 7900XT or similar, since it's a gaming PC.

The problem with this proposed build is it costs a fortune and performs no difference to a PC costing half as much in games because it still only has a mid-range GPU.

Sorry Homelander only seen reply now, I didn't get a notification. In the end I changed GPU to a Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB and got 2 Samsung Odyssey G51C 32" Monitors.

Advertisement