Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving French

Options
  • 31-07-2023 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

I have a degree in French but haven’t really used it since I graduated in 2014. What resources could I use to bring it back to a good level and potentially work in a languages field?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

First off, while you're waiting for something more concrete, pick your three favourite areas of interest (professional or hobby) and find a selection of websites and YouTube channels that discuss them (maybe even sign up for a magazine subscription, if you want to go "old school"). This'll give you instant exposure to a set of vocabulary that you don't have to force yourself to learn, and you'll refresh your grammar rules along the way.

Next, although it's a bit late for this year, think about offering your services as a volunteer at any one of the thousands of events all over France that take on volunteers for days or weeks at a time. Don't worry too much about the theme of the event - think more about how what aspect of your future "work in languages" you want to develop.

I've posted previously about a festival for which I handle one such team (amongst a dozen). This year, one of my volunteers was a Dutch girl who decided she didn't really enjoy the "customer service" aspect of the work I'm responsible for, but she got a great kick out of the construction and breakdown of the site. She effectively swapped her English Language degree for an intensive course in the (French) language of rigging, groundworks and the contents of a good toolbox, and (with the contacts she made on-site) hoping to spend several months next year going from one festival to another as a paid crew member.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

What are you interested in as a hobby ? Find out some YouTube channels on the subject and listen to those. You could also listen to rire et chanson radio which does chat and comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What about courses or something? Don’t mind a small cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There are always courses, but you're going to have to be a lot more specific about what you mean when you say "potentially work in a languages field" - that could be anything from simple translations to being the head of marketing in France for a non-French-speaking company.

You've already done a degree-level course; that's why your next step should be reading, writing, listening to and speaking the language in the real world ... or at the very least the social-media version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I was a fluent French speaker 40 years ago and left to come to Ireland. I started watching French YouTube channels and the one I enjoy the most is so chateau. Guided tours round old houses. I do a recap in my own words and I was surprised at how quick my ear adapted to it. I'm a polyglot and was brought up to speak 4 languages as a young child , and the funny thing is that I think in different languages according to what language I was taught to do it in. So maybe try to think In French and practise that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

go to France, maybe do some volunteer work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I give walking tours of Kilkenny in French and German, I started doing it while I was studying for a degree in those languages. I listen to audiobooks and podcasts in French. There's an excellent audio magazine called écoute that I listen to, it's by Spotlight Verlag/ die Zeit.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement