Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio, Today FM and Newstalk in Northern Ireland?

Options
  • 31-07-2023 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, can RTE Radio, Today FM and Newstalk be recieved in Northern Ireland in the areas between Carrickfergus, the Glens of Antrim and Ballycastle? I presume, if so, the signal would be very weak, as it's the furthest away?

Or is this the one and only area in Northern Ireland with no radio FM radio reception from the Republic of Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If people put up an external FM radio aerial, it would probably work. People make the effort to do that to get TV reception. Or drive to some high ground and listen on a car radio. Listening on a portable radio would be variable. Might work upstairs but not downstairs in a house. Or work in one house but not another one close by.

There are bandscan videos on YouTube showing reception of those stations on car radios in parts of GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

the bandscans in GB are often of occasional/some-of-the-time reception rather rather than consistent useable reception, depending where they were.

Also a good consistent reception on a car radio whilst parked in somewhere like the west Wales coast facing Ireland is bound to be a lot better than whilst driving in some parts of Northern Ireland

Post edited by Antenna on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Depends on which transmitters you mean, and the bandscans I saw are of normal conditions. I said someone could get reception by driving to high ground. What I meant is that they would park up there and listen. In places well outside of the transmitter service area, reception while driving would not work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Thanks for all the answers.

I would guess that the Glens of Antrim and the coast would be below and beyond the reaches of any RTE transmitter from the Republic of Ireland.

Advertisement